Tail Docking Rep Of Ireland

Can anyone clear this up for me please?

I understood docking was illegal in the south now - by vets only and they were told by their professional body not to do it.

I just got sent this and I am left wondering?

http://theses.gla.ac.uk/5629/1/2014lederermvm.pdf

From P9 (P22 on the pdf)

In the Republic of Ireland the Animal Health and Welfare Bill2012has recently been passed in which tail docking in dogs is legal but is not permitted to be carried out by veterinary surgeons, because this is considered unethical by the Veterinary Council of Ireland (personal communication withAllan Rossiter, spokesman for Veterinary Ireland).However, docking would be permitted to be carried outby dog owners themselves. It allows docking as a procedure under “subsection 1 if done “in accordance with animal health and welfare regulations” and states that it may be carried out where a veterinary practitioner is satisfied that the operation is for therapeutic purposes and necessary for the health of the animal“. It is also stated that “A person shall not -do, or fail to do, anything or cause or permit anything to be done to an animal that causes injury (including disfigurement) or unnecessary suffering to, or endanger the health or welfare of, the animal”. Therefore docking is permitted but reasonably regulated.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some Irish pups are bred so good the tails fall off after two days.

There seems to be a lot of anger on the terrier section these days, the thread was about docking but it seems only patterdale owners can make any comment,LOL's, the section is being fecked by the same

HGN,   In my opinion.   According to the law in Ireland right now; 1; Only a Veterinarian or Veterinary Nurse can perform the procedure. This is covered under a Statutory Instrument, (an addition

there is an exemption in the bill for working breeds. .HPRs and terrier's are legal as long as you provide the vet with proof that its for working purposes and not cosmetic...as your terrier would be used underground a working breed...then its perfectly legal.... produce your shotgun certificate and written permission that you have legal land to use your terrier for legitimate pest control... and the vet should have no problem doing it... I had a vet call to my kennells last week to dock a pup..all legal and above board and signed paper work. house call and docking of pups tail cost me 37 quid.

• Like 3

Docking is legal if you can satisfy the vet the dog is legitimately working. It is completely illegal for anyone other than a vet to dock in the ROI. Your problem comes with the fact that the Veterinary council of Ireland is pushing hard for a full docking ban without exemptions and are recommending vets do not dock. Not all vets agree with this and will still dock, just find the right one.

If you don't have paperwork for a docked dog you are liable even if you bought it docked by someone else. No one is going to check it unless you've already attracted attention with your dogs then they'll go for the jugular.

• Like 2

Can anyone clear this up for me please?

I understood docking was illegal in the south now - by vets only and they were told by their professional body not to do it.

I just got sent this and I am left wondering?

http://theses.gla.ac.uk/5629/1/2014lederermvm.pdf

From P9 (P22 on the pdf)

In the Republic of Ireland the Animal Health and Welfare Bill2012has recently been passed in which tail docking in dogs is legal but is not permitted to be carried out by veterinary surgeons, because this is considered unethical by the Veterinary Council of Ireland (personal communication withAllan Rossiter, spokesman for Veterinary Ireland).However, docking would be permitted to be carried outby dog owners themselves. It allows docking as a procedure under “subsection 1 if done “in accordance with animal health and welfare regulations” and states that it may be carried out where a veterinary practitioner is satisfied that the operation is for therapeutic purposes and necessary for the health of the animal“. It is also stated that “A person shall not -do, or fail to do, anything or cause or permit anything to be done to an animal that causes injury (including disfigurement) or unnecessary suffering to, or endanger the health or welfare of, the animal”. Therefore docking is permitted but reasonably regulated.

HGN,

In my opinion.

According to the law in Ireland right now;

1; Only a Veterinarian or Veterinary Nurse can perform the procedure. This is covered under a Statutory Instrument, (an addition to the Animal Welfare Bill).

2; Every owner is responsible for the welfare of their animals.

If the long term health and welfare of the dog is improved by docking a portion of the tail or removal of dewclaws because of its working environment.

The owner must comply with the law and take steps to get the procedure done.

If the Veterinary clinics in your area will not perform the procedure and comply with the law, then the owner should take every step available to them to take care of their working dogs in any way they can. Keep a record of the clinics rejections, emails, letters etc.... it will come in handy if anyone asks.

We know that this is hypocrisy on the part of the vets, they insisted on getting their profession written into the law, then they pulled their support.

At this stage no one has any doubt that the vets acted in bad faith and have lost any credibility.

Don't take too mush notice of the reports coming out of Glasgow University, the authors are professionals and meant well but were out of their depth in many ways.

• Like 5

It's a bit of a tricky one because the law gives the vets a choice that if in their opinion a dog is at greater risk of injury from having a long tail than a short tail then they can legally dock it for working breeds but if in the vets opinion it is unnecessary to dock the tails because they don't see the dog been at risk of injury then they are also within the law. The key is to get a vet that does realise the risk of injury and will happily dock rather than trying to harass the ones that don't.

• Like 5

Tail docking working dogs is the law of the land in all parts of Ireland and the uk and recently the ban in Scotland over turned after the government did their research although somewhat flawed. I agree with Jiggy. You just need to find a vet that will gladly do it. Of course you will now be paying for something we all have been doing for many a year without any issues. I don't know of any Terrierman who lost a pup from docking or any adverse harm during the life of the worker thereafter. The choice is down to each individual what they choose to do.....

• Like 3

I'm trying to get my head around this thread, why are people so concerned about having a vet perform this action, is it to have a cert? Why do you need it unless you're selling pups, and to pet owners at that, I'd be surprised if a terrier man was fussed about who done once it's done correctly, or is this action actually policed and people are trying to stay within the law, who polices it?