Shown My Face

Went to a place this morning just to show my face i usually ferret this spot twice a year but i have not bothered this season. The first thing i saw were these pegs set on a 20 holer so it looks like kids had crept on and tried there luck

DSCF3090_zpsfcwe4msp.jpg

Ithen walked up the hill with a dozen traps to the bottom of a massive warren , rabbits were out bouncing everywhere and i thought the seemed nervous , i set my traps at the bottom of the warren in one block ,pissing into the wind but i was onlyb there to show my face

DSCF3085_zpsrbmfuqvz.jpg

DSCF3087_zpsheyovflv.jpg

DSCF3089_zpsr37bksu3.jpg

DSCF3093_zpsoqqvnuq0.jpg

This is a great place to ferret but you need three men and a stack of kit i have done it over forty years and had some large bags but after January its to much trouble

• Like 1

yes mate you have to cover the trap or the rabbit will try to avoid it , the paper is on the plate to stop the soil dropping through and stopping the trap from triggering , i usually cover the traps with Peat but i could not carry anything else up the hill.

• Like 1

DSCF3099_zpswokvb4un.jpg

Only caught two last night but i think weather was against me but saying that elenen traps in a warren this size is just a drop in the ocean .Ihave left them down for tonight and i might give the top a try next week when i bring the rest of my traps back from Kings Lynn

one of the farm lads took a rabbit and gave me a bag of greens in exchange i think it was about ten oclock and was on his way to pick is gaffer up who sleeping it of in the local pub after getting blind drunk last night .

Had a couple more this morning out of the nine traps left in , ive pulled them up and dumped them on the top , i am over Norfolk in the morning to fetch my traps back . Next week i will set them all on the top of the warren as there is a lot of water showing along the bottom , i will get the traps taken up there also a bag of peat as this clay is awful and i think its cost me one or two rabbits .

DSCF3104_zps1w15rman.jpg

DSCF3108_zpsysexfqd1.jpg

DSCF3110_zps6xsn5qky.jpg

Look at the state of them pegs though probably £2 for ten at outdoor world and the size of them Micky would be better putting them in as markers for his traps

there was half a dozen wooden pegs there too [you can see one in the picture] little things like splinters , the only thing i can think of is after a prolonged frost it is hard to get a wooden peg in but you can force a metal pin into the ground and hook your net over