Brickies

My brother is a bricklayer, he's regularly hitting over 1k for the week on price work in South Yorkshire.

I think they are on 45 pence a brick and £1 a block.

Cheap that is.

Bedford, nothants, Mk area we are charging between £6 and £700 per thousand on brickwork, and £1.60 each for block work. (4 inch block).

7 brickies flat out and turning work away left right and centre.

What's that doing though?
Brickwork ?

Obviously but what type of work, how much are you laying a day per man?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I were a brickie and got paid for openings as well I'd specialize in the front walls of garages.

there's alot of people like that in the building trade not just brickies and they are raising tbe retirement age doesn't make sense

Aye, retirement age should match the wear and tear on your body over the years. Somebody doing a desk job can work a lot longer than an outside worker. Guys on hard graft outside jobs should get the

My brother is a bricklayer, he's regularly hitting over 1k for the week on price work in South Yorkshire.

Cheap that is.

Bedford, nothants, Mk area we are charging between £6 and £700 per thousand on brickwork, and £1.60 each for block work. (4 inch block).

Brickwork

Garages, extensions, garden walls, retainers, new builds, you name it we Will look at it. just doing a sub station at present. We try and stay off sites if we can.

Depends on what they are on how much goes down,

Cheap that is.

Brickwork
Garages, extensions, garden walls, retainers, new builds, you name it we Will look at it. just doing a sub station at present. We try and stay off sites if we can.

Depends on what they are on how much goes down,

That's what my brother was doing on the books but he left to go back on site work. More money and less hours but obviously more graft.

1988 I was on £300 a thousand face work, £4.50 a metre for internal blocks, £3 a lintel, 50p a sheet for Jab.

1995 it was £220 per thousand face and £3.50 a metre internal blocks and feck all for lintels jab or weepholes

Feck that became a fisherman, easier work.

TC

Lack of brickies just now they can name there price 1000 a week for brickies is a average wage know for them I'm a renderer can't build them quick enough just now for not enough brickies

They deserve big money. Not many brickies over 60. A lot get arthritis in their hands and back---cos of repetitive movement over a lifetime. Mate of mine.. 50 odd has to spend an hour in hot tub in mornings just to get movement in his hands.
there's alot of people like that in the building trade not just brickies and they are raising tbe retirement age doesn't make sense
  • Like 4

Aye, retirement age should match the wear and tear on your body over the years. Somebody doing a desk job can work a lot longer than an outside worker. Guys on hard graft outside jobs should get their pension at 60 at the latest.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2

£400 /£450 a thousand ,£11 sq m 4" ,£150 day work in North Wales at the moment , 5 minutes from house ,i could get more if I travelled to Liverpool or Manchester , i'm hoping it's our time now, money was shit after 2008 ,but getting better the last two years

• Like 1

When i started in 63 man holes were good money Brindle bricks nine inch work £3 1000 15 bob for the benching .

these newer brickys could nt build a waterbond man hole,let alone slippers and benching.

Edited by Qbgrey

I started in 98 and the college course was a decent course. Took me 3 years nearly, our apprentice has just done 2 years and failed because he never emailed his course work over. Said his computer had a virus yeah yeah lol. He said he has never even build an arch at college. These courses are two Bob nowadays.

Edited by stevo79

How do you brickies organise yourselves if there is a group of freelancers (not an organised firm) doing private work ? Say you normally work alone, but get a job to rebuild a long garden wall and you want 3 other brick layers to come in on the job with you. Do you all invoice the customer separately and let the customer buy materials (less money, less risk), or do you take the lead on managing the job and invoice the customer yourself with a % on top for buying the materials and paying the labour bills out of your own pocket (more money more risk)?

How do you brickies organise yourselves if there is a group of freelancers (not an organised firm) doing private work ? Say you normally work alone, but get a job to rebuild a long garden wall and you want 3 other brick layers to come in on the job with you. Do you all invoice the customer separately and let the customer buy materials (less money, less risk), or do you take the lead on managing the job and invoice the customer yourself with a % on top for buying the materials and paying the labour bills out of your own pocket (more money more risk)?

we cant work alone mate,min is a 2plus 1 gang really,2 bricklayers 1 labour.so if we get a big job and you cant increase the gang you just crack on in the small gang.