Second Attempt!

Well I went for my second try on my own today. I even managed to keep the collar on the younger Jill! I put the youngest Jill down a little 4 holer, she was apprehensive at first, but after a several sniffs, she soon went down, and out anther hole. Well I went back to the 12 holer I thought I was getting the run around on a few days ago. Put both jills in, but after 5 mins they popped up again, so I put them in another couple of holes and nothing. I then tried around the base of a tree with 3 holes. I soon put the older jill down, and after 15 mins had a quick scan with the finder. 10ft down, and didnt move for 15 mins. I then put the smaller jill down also to give her a go. 15 mins later, they both reappeared, the eldest had clearly made a kill, but I couldnt dig the depths required! Time to move to another hedge I hadnt been on before. Only a single holer, the ferret went down and 5 minutes later she was back out. I then went to a really thick hedge. Loads of bushes, cant move under most of it, and its between two rabbit fences around 10ft apart. I netted up around 8 holes and put the oldest one down. After 15 mins, a quick scan, she was at 14ft and remained there for 30-40 min! Deep bloody warrens! Then she finally moved. 15 mins later, had another quick scan, and she was at 12ft and stayed there for another half hour. She then moved to 8 foot down and stopped again not far from the hole I put her down. I then slipped the youngest one in, she must have got as far as the other one, turned around and came out. She moved after 10 mins, only a few feet away, but this was at 4 foot. I then got the spade out and dug down as she wasnt moving. Expecting to find a rabbit, she was soon lifted out with furry claws. I felt both ways with the probe and no rabbits. Less than a foot in front of her, the hole seemed to vertically drop. I dont know if she just didnt want to go down it??? Seems like this was a large single hole warren, because she didnt come out of any of the other holes further along. After that, I was just relieved to have her back in the box. Everything was then packed away and headed home. It was quite a windy day, 25 ish gusting to 30+mph. Seems like there were several kills underground that I couldnt dig to, and nothing bolted. Is there any reason the rabbits dont bolt? Ive heard a good wind doesnt help, but dont know if this was the issue. I did walk over the last warren a few times, as access and visibility is poor, I didnt want her bumbling off in to the distance! This hedge between two rabbit fences looks a nightmare. Plenty of holes, but access to a fair amount is zero. Nightmare. So no rabbits, but learned some more!

• Like 1

That's why most of us don't go ferreting by our selfs as the other person does the digging. I had a warren they wouldn't Bolt in on Sunday. Had a look down a few holes and there was rabbits sitting couple feet back at 3 holes. Must of seen me at some point because I didn't make no noise or walk over any of the warren or they've been done a few times before

• Like 1

Could be young mate, on one permission we a few but young every where. Yet on a different permission about four miles from that one no young at all.

Still well done for just getting out there.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

Maybe the ferrets werent going deep enough maybe you could of been doing with another ferret ?. At least now you have the bottle to ferret it keep at it mate at least if you dont get anything out of it the smell of the ferrets might cause the rabbits to leave it and occupy smaller burrows nearby where you can get them