Expensive Gear

just been watching a very good video of a lad doing a bit of ferreting ,had a great set up ,longnets ,good dog ,good ferrets and hi vis clothing! .

yes hi vis clothing.we all know bunnies are colour blind yet we buy into the best of camo .a very old friend of mine (82) always said that fishing tackle shops were great for catching fishermen not fish!.very true.oh by the way this guy bagged plenty of rabbits. :victory:

While my son wears a cammo jacket i think its just for the pockets to put all the nets etc he just wears jogging trousers and after a couple of digs when there wet all im thinking is you could park a bike there he cant be warm or comfortable

• Like 2

I know what it is, he is hunting somewhere that is either commercial or council owned and that is why there are so rabbits, it's rarely hunted. But to hunt on it he'd have to do a risk assessment and then wear hi viz I.e. A runway or to show he is permitted staff. Just the suits covering their ass's that is all.

• Like 2

Rabbits are colour blind but they can see the difference between light and dark colours. When theres more than one rabbit in a burrow often a rabbit will sit just behind the net or paw at the net, if you move then their back down we have all seen that. So I think its best if its clothing that is dark or camo or colours that blend in and as The One says tough with loads of pockets. How ever a high vis vest is useful on public highway lanes that used by traffic and we do a few, but it goes on over a camo jacket for the person in the road. Each to are own though but i'll keep using what i know works.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

clothing dont kill rabbits,,,people do... :laugh:

it dont matter what you wear,,its all about standing in the right place,,standing still ect,,,that said some steep banks we do,,just bolting to the dog,,we stand below the warren so the bolting rabbit sees us and turns to run up hill.. :thumbs:

and whatever i seem to wear ,,i always come back fithy,,from all the digging

clothing dont kill rabbits,,,people do... :laugh:

it dont matter what you wear,,its all about standing in the right place,,standing still ect,,,that said some steep banks we do,,just bolting to the dog,,we stand below the warren so the bolting rabbit sees us and turns to run up hill.. :thumbs:

and whatever i seem to wear ,,i always come back fithy,,from all the digging

Or spades do .... ???

• Like 2

I don't really do the whole surplus camo thing anymore because I'd rather buy decent clothing and be happy! I must admit this year's ferreting has been a lot more pleasant in my deerhunter bib and brace - dry as a bone and toasty warm regardless of weather, it's also very resistant against hawthorn so less broken thorns in my legs as a result from crawling about under hedges.

The light / dark thing isn't really an issue (think of the US hunters who need to wear flouro orange these days) but having something like a realtree or dpm pattern breaks up your outline and that is where the benefit comes into play. Having exposed hands or head however removes any benefit you get because a pasty face floating above something that looks like a hedge is going to look suspicious!

It certainly works against crow / magpie / pigeon and shooting daytime bunnies is a lot easier when your dressed like a tit (sorry, I mean dressed in realtree with gloves and a face veil) I don't really think it translates to ferreting to the same degree though because the bunnies are usually in fight or flight mode.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess cammo breaks up an outline with its pattern. It's more useful just to stay below any horizon lines as a rabbit that knows the area will spot you quickly and duck back down. My tripods are a bad for that outside more than in! Other than that it's just nice to be left alone. I've been dealing with too many dog walkers lately, they stray in to be nosey, fair enough but some of their dog breeds are a danger to the ferrets :censored: Border terrier a few weeks ago was almost scruffed away

Just to be left alone :thumbs:

• Like 1