What age do you stick a collar and lean on your pups ?

Some wait til 6 months, others straight away ?

reason i ask is, in the passed i have all ways started when they are young, but a lot of the coursing lads wait longer, say to their 6 months ?

cheers. :thumbs:

Yeah, that is what i have done in the passed. :thumbs:

Some lads wait till later, some start early, i reckon when their around 10 weeks start slowly, but i have also seen them start at 6 months and older with no bother.

you got a pure saluki pup then ?

Yeah, that is what i have done in the passed. :thumbs:

Some lads wait till later, some start early, i reckon when their around 10 weeks start slowly, but i have also seen them start at 6 months and older with no bother.

you got a pure saluki pup then ?

Not yet Bird. Still looking mate. Put topic up as i was talking to a fella last week that does not lead train his till their 5 to 6 month onwards. I prefer to start younger, but it seems to work for him, so thought id stick the topic up about it. He believes in lots of freedom for the pup, but is lucky to be surrounded with his own fields ect.

I've always got a collar on early, even if i didnt bother with a lead for a while. I might try a lead early and you can tell straight away if its too soon or going to be emotional . Some pups aren't phased a bit. atb Joe

same here let them run about the garden with a collar on a puppy one then a old terrier one now there wearing greyhound collars , but putting a lead on them they could pull a sleigh

Take each pup on its own merits. I had two from a litter I bred, both fine with collars on from 10 weeks or so. One pup was a dream on the lead from the word go just trotted along at the side of you, it's sister would lie down and refuse to move as soon as the lead was on.

Both turned out fine in the end but I didn't make much of and effort with her until six months or so, she was happy to follow you around of lead.

I think if I persisted with her at such a young age she would of turned out to be a real pain in the arse!

• Like 1