Rhodesian Ridgeback Bushing

Hannibal

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not trying to re invent the wheel guys nor am I claiming it is the new next best thing. I've rescued the bitch from being put down and hopefully she will find a place in my pack and she will slot

The bitch is doing just fine. She has settled right in with the family and my other dogs. She is a good watch dog to have knocking round the yard. Hunting wise she is very keen and seems to have team

You know what's fellas,f**k it I'll post what I like about what I like. The mighty hunter brigade pissed me off a bit but oh well. It's quite amusing how people get so offended about what another man

Posted Images

Has anyone ever hunted with a rhodesian ridgeback? I have just rescued a 13 month old bitch. She has got brilliant manners and great with other dogs. Her owner has the big C so cannot no longer care for her.

Really hound looking.g bitch stands around 24 inches.

I have read of peopl using them for a variety of uses and hunting all sorts.

I have 2 runners and a terrier so I'm hoping she will learn from them and get hunting with the pack soon

Original post, for some of you 'mightier than god' types on here that have critisized. The man rescued the bitch from being pts, as it's owner could no longer care for her. And as a couple of others have already said, the guy gets slated for asking for a little advice etc about getting the bitch fitter and maybe doing a little hunting.

He didn't go out and purchase the bitch solely for bushing.

Some of you lads need to get a grip. The man's doing f**k all wrong, in his actions or motives!

Well done to the fella.

Good luck with it :thumbs:

• Like 7

There is so much jealously the world over amungst dog hunters. you catch a pig and others here about your the worst in the world, you use a dog outside the excepted norm and you must be some sort of morron. I have never let that shit get to me I feed what I want to and frk every one else. Like I said earlier I had the breed 37 years some were good some not so but I enjoyed giving every one of them a chance. I copied some ribbing over them and some them put egg one the face of the mouths. good luck with your dog, enjoy her how ever she turns out.

• Like 2

There is so much jealously the world over amungst dog hunters. you catch a pig and others here about your the worst in the world, you use a dog outside the excepted norm and you must be some sort of morron. I have never let that shit get to me I feed what I want to and frk every one else. Like I said earlier I had the breed 37 years some were good some not so but I enjoyed giving every one of them a chance. I copied some ribbing over them and some them put egg one the face of the mouths. good luck with your dog, enjoy her how ever she turns out.

And, as forest of dean redneck has said, years ago we never heard about 'bushing' dogs. You and your mates just took along every conceivable mutt, mostly mongrels, but some pedigree breeds, that would tag along with you. All this 'purpose bred bushing types' is a load of shite if you ask me. I saw many a street, pet mongrel that would put most of these purpose bred dogs to shame when it comes to general work/rabbiting.

Great days out

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 4

And, as forest of dean redneck has said, years ago we never heard about 'bushing' dogs. You and your mates just took along every conceivable mutt, mostly mongrels, but some pedigree breeds, that would tag along with you. All this 'purpose bred bushing types' is a load of shite if you ask me. I saw many a street, pet mongrel that would put most of these purpose bred dogs to shame when it comes to general work/rabbiting.

Great days out

I used to take a lab cross from a few doors up that dog was lethal in cover got plenty with him and got help any stranger that came to close to me I was always safe up the field's with that dog I'd love to have him now.

Great days out

I used to take a lab cross from a few doors up that dog was lethal in cover got plenty with him and got help any stranger that came to close to me I was always safe up the field's with that dog I'd love to have him now.

Lol yeah seen plenty of crosses/mongrels whatever, make rabbiting/ratching call it what you will, cracking all round fun dogs.

I often think back on those times, reminiscing about sam, prince, sally etc lol. The good days when we had freedom to roam where we liked, without a care in the world. Even the local farmers weren't too concerned about us traipsing across their Land with a couple of mutts, as long as it wasn't lambing time. Sadly long gone now, with everyone watching every move you make. Pretty sad times nowadays I'm afraid :thumbs:

• Like 1

I think people are confusing fun with taking themselves too seriously.

Far too many people take working dogs too seriously. Apart from pest control, in certain situations, no-one these days needs a dog, or two or three or more, to provide food for the table. Everything now seems to be catch as much as you can, whatever the weather, ground conditions etc, to outdo everyone else.

For me, to go out for a few hours watching a dog or two pushing a rabbit around a small wood for half an hour or so before catching it, is far more enjoyable than walking for miles at night with the lamp and catching 10,15 or so rabbits. You don't see hardly anything apart from what's at the end of the beam. Bores the pants off me.

And driving between perms before you start lamping aint exactly exciting either. And it's even worse when you get there and there's hardly anything about.

So, yes the fun has gone out of it. And I do realise we're on the bushing section, not lamping. Just saying lol :thumbs:

• Like 7

Far too many people take working dogs too seriously. Apart from pest control, in certain situations, no-one these days needs a dog, or two or three or more, to provide food for the table. Everything now seems to be catch as much as you can, whatever the weather, ground conditions etc, to outdo everyone else.

For me, to go out for a few hours watching a dog or two pushing a rabbit around a small wood for half an hour or so before catching it, is far more enjoyable than walking for miles at night with the lamp and catching 10,15 or so rabbits. You don't see hardly anything apart from what's at the end of the beam. Bores the pants off me.

And driving between perms before you start lamping aint exactly exciting either. And it's even worse when you get there and there's hardly anything about.

So, yes the fun has gone out of it. And I do realise we're on the bushing section, not lamping. Just saying lol :thumbs:

Well said that man?

Far to many people don,t take working dogs seriously enough,ive not owned a mutt over the last few years that was worked to its true potential yet their siblings do.For me its seems far easier now to expect less,do less and breed from less with a sense of less urgency.Im still an advocate of the many folk that still own a more serious and committed disposition.

• 7 months later...

I thought the RRB is indeed a "hunting breed",NOT that any dog knows what it is nor does it care ,looks count for jackshit ,its normally the owner who talks about how good the dog is ...while the dog does the task required of it and says nothing ..... :laugh::laugh: .I have and use a good number of dogs while I'm out working ground for rabbits/hares and when somebody I meet mentions you have alot of dogs out atm my reply is always the same one ..............no I have a team out today

• Like 1

Far to many people don,t take working dogs seriously enough,ive not owned a mutt over the last few years that was worked to its true potential yet their siblings do.For me its seems far easier now to expect less,do less and breed from less with a sense of less urgency.Im still an advocate of the many folk that still own a more serious and committed disposition.

You've just answered your own conundrum there mort. As we get older we all expect less than we used to when we were young, keen and full of enthusiasm. Wanting the need for dogs that are 'the best' at whatever, doesn't seem so necessary after a lifetime of catching god knows how much quarry etc that we used to.

Take me with lamping as an example, I used to cover many many miles in a few nights in shitty, cold windy weather to get my dogs out and catching regularly, nowadays, or rather nights, if I even hear the wind picking up and the rain start to come down, I inwardly groan to myself and think of hunkering down in front of the telly and get myself snug and cosy lol. Those long tiresome nights for me, are long gone lol. But I still check the moon phases on a regular basis, old habits eh? :laugh::thumbs:

• Like 1