More Surprises From The Super 10

I've had this Mk2 Super 10 for a little while now and, it's proving to be exactly what I was after :thumbs:

..... It's compact, not too light, not too slick but not agricultural either, accurate, good shot count, looks good, gives a satisfying hit being .22 and, because of the short barrel, feels like it really spits the pellets out. It's good, honest retro shooting that puts a smile on my face.

When I bought it, I was advised that the previous owner had always ran it with JSBs so, I did a few pellet tests and settled on JSB RS - at 13.43gn they were a nice fast .22 pellet and they were accurate.

...... The one rabbit and numerous rats I've taken with this combination have gone down with one hell of a whack :yes:

But ....... those pellets always needed a little effort to push them from the mag to the barrel. I started wondering if I could find better :hmm:

On my only day off last week, I took the rifle and a bunch of different .22s down to Black Cat for some testing .......

post-102688-0-00287500-1486806825_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had this Mk2 Super 10 for a little while now and, it's proving to be exactly what I was after   ..... It's compact, not too light, not too slick but not agricultural either, accurate, good sh

I set some targets out at 35 yards and tried the JSB variants first - nothing too scientific, a mag of each without rezeroing. I was looking at how the pellets cycled and what the groupings were like

The end result from a short trip out was 7 dead rats - 5 recovered

Posted Images

I set some targets out at 35 yards and tried the JSB variants first - nothing too scientific, a mag of each without rezeroing.

I was looking at how the pellets cycled and what the groupings were like.

I tried -

JSB RS

JSB Exact

FX

FAP

They all felt slightly stiff but, for some reason, the the JSB RS and FAPs were now f***ing awful - some of them gave a lot of resistance when cycled, then popped into the back of the barrel. When I fired those pellets, I could see them spiral wildly into the target - some missing the 8" paper target altogether :o

Next up was a selection of ze Germans ......

H&N FTT

H&n Sniper Light

H&N FTT Green (yes, I know :rolleyes)

Straight away the FTTs cycled a lot better - Strange because they're 5.53mm and, the JSBs were all 5.52mm :hmm:

Instantly, these gave a decent group. The Sniper Lights performed the same - they cycled well and grouped well - at 14.66gn for the FTTs Vs 13.43gn for the JSB RS, I may have just found the Super 10s new pellet :good:

Then I tried the FTT Green - a 9.56gn lead free .22 pellet.

These have been absolute shite in every rifle I've ever tried them in - .177 and .22. A sawnoff shotgun at 100 yards would normally give a better grouping :yes:

However, from this Super 10, they kept flying fast into the same group :o

.... It wasn't a 5p group but, it was showing promise :hmm:

They were hitting hard and, there was little deformation of the pellets after hitting the steel plate behind the target.

post-102688-0-04821200-1486808706_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-97991900-1486808720_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This morning, before work, I gave the H&Ns another go at 30 yards this time. I rezeroed for the FTTs.

I taped a pistol target to a stack of brochures and put through another 10 shot group of each.

The FTTs began to creep up and right but, I reckon after a barrel clean and leading back in, these could well be the ones :thumbs:

They deformed well after hitting the plate behind the target at Black Cat.

I don't imagine anything getting away from a hit from these ;)

post-102688-0-57995100-1486809241_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-61046600-1486809257_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The FTT Greens have been a real surprise - I'm usually a staunch advocate of the soft lead diablo but, today, these were getting to the target so fast and hitting hard, I reckon they might make a good ratting pellet :hmm:

I want to put the FTTs and the FTT Greens over a chrono and, test them at longer ranges but, so far so good.

To be honest, I'm not holding out much hope for the FTT Green past 40 yards - I reckon it's power retention will be shit.

This is one that I dug out of the stack of brochures today ......

post-102688-0-80730900-1486809726_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-38251600-1486809736_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-09368600-1486809753_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They are a cracking little rifle. I've had mine since new and it's never missed a beat. Completely unmolested and I wouldn't like to tally up the amount of gear I've shot with it :no:

It's very pellet fussy but groups well and is consistent. I'd certainly never part with it.

post-13507-0-60984500-1486813106_thumb.jpg

They are a cracking little rifle. I've had mine since new and it's never missed a beat. Completely unmolested and I wouldn't like to tally up the amount of gear I've shot with it :no:

It's very pellet fussy but groups well and is consistent. I'd certainly never part with it.

IMG_0787.JPG

Nice :thumbs:

This one's the same - it had a sevice at BSA just before I bought it and, they confirmed it's totally factory standard.

I did think about letting John Bowkett have a look at it but, I don't want to feel any different to how it feels right now.

like it when people put up there test results nice one jon :thumbs:

i wouldn't bother sending it off, it works well for you already and costs a fortune.

its good to try different pellets, grouping well is a good thing but dropping the quarry is thing on my mind at the mo.. soft leads generally group well but its the bullit proof birds I'm not happy with, rabbits seem to drop with any!

been testing loads this week mainly my h+n collection going on the harder lead will get through the feathers better resulting in more in the bag!!

just need to find the one :laugh: that works in the 510 and 95 i like to use the same in both, makes life easier

some of these head sizes vary like f... some fall into the 95 and some need a good push :blink:

keep bashing them brochures and let us know how you get on :thumbs:

atb si

• Like 1

like it when people put up there test results nice one jon :thumbs:

i wouldn't bother sending it off, it works well for you already and costs a fortune.

its good to try different pellets, grouping well is a good thing but dropping the quarry is thing on my mind at the mo.. soft leads generally group well but its the bullit proof birds I'm not happy with, rabbits seem to drop with any!

been testing loads this week mainly my h+n collection going on the harder lead will get through the feathers better resulting in more in the bag!!

just need to find the one :laugh: that works in the 510 and 95 i like to use the same in both, makes life easier

some of these head sizes vary like f... some fall into the 95 and some need a good push :blink:

keep bashing them brochures and let us know how you get on :thumbs:

atb si

Cheers Si :thumbs:

I think I'll only send it off now if it needs work.

I'll update this thread again when I've done a bit more testing with it - Hopefully tomorrow :thumbs:

I know what you mean about head sizes - I'm not one for weighing and sorting but, I can feel a real difference in some when loading one of the springers :rolleyes:

It's a shame you're having problems with softer lead on the birds - this was a .22 FAP from my TX :o

...... they work well on squirrels heads as well :yes:

post-102688-0-16142000-1486818499_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've got a digital slide scale but unless your gonna spend a bloody fortune they're about as accurate as mystic meg :blink:

and i don't need any dealer scales in the house!

i hope the weather is good for you tomorrow cos its grim as f up this way and tomorrow aint looking any better!! :censored:

tried the hornets again just to see if they had improved with the barrel bedding in but its not to be :cray: cant see anything flying away after a tap with one of them!!

• Like 1