Home Fettling Advice - Marks Inside The Cylender

Hi guys

I'm home fettling another hw99. So far iv got as far as getting a sfs spring and properly sized top hat by sfs and a vortek piston seal.

Upon stripping the gun iv polished the end of the cocking link and the cocking slot and cleaned out the cylender. All looking good but there's heavy marking in the piston area. No gouges but im after people's opinions if you would leave them and just make sure they are smoothish or polish them away completely.

The piston seal area is mint. Iv put some elbow grease into them so far in the piston area but not all gone.

Am I been a bit fussy or is the odd scrape on in the piston area ok? I'm just worried if I remove too much metal it could be detrimental? Any advice would be appriciated!

• Like 1

Hi rez! No cropped barrel. I had the same dilemma with the 85 with light marks I diddnt polish them out but i woke up in the middle of the night with the picture of them in my mind lol. In the end a month later i stripped it again, taped 1200 grit to my shotgun mop then stuck it in a drill fixed the drill into a vice and polished it out like a bloody mirror. It performes abserlutely amazing! Like silk and had no bother at all But...

I often wonder if removing the crosshatching removed some of its lubrication properties? Hence the possably dumb question. (Feel daft asking)

But... shared opinions are great. I want things perfect!!!

This springer fettling is adictive.

I've had the same problem before tom...the piston had gouged the top of the cylinder,

never polished it completely out just used a bit of scotchbrite and a wooden spoon to smooth it out so there were no high parts...

de greased re greased and better than new :thumbs:

atb si

• Like 1

Cheers si I thaught so but I'm very sadly ocd with some stuff. I diddnt notice much difference with the 85 but made me feel better confidence wise. Its not my gun so don't want to get carried away and spoil it for him. Iv polished pistons and left theese marks in guns before years ago and the marks in the cyl scored the piston again so surely defied the object of piston polishing. But reading online and speaking to people at the range cylenders should not be polished internally?

Great guns the 99 but they suffer with a s**t cocking arm , only if they made them like the 95

Thaught same. A mini 95 would be a bueaty.

Just wish they put as much thaught into thir airguns as they do their cars and printing presses!

• Like 1

Cheers si I thaught so but I'm very sadly ocd with some stuff. I diddnt notice much difference with the 85 but made me feel better confidence wise. Its not my gun so don't want to get carried away and spoil it for him. Iv polished pistons and left theese marks in guns before years ago and the marks in the cyl scored the piston again so surely defied the object of piston polishing. But reading online and speaking to people at the range cylenders should not be polished internally?

it was the spring that was causing the problem, sorted the preload and aft a bit of juggling it was sweet as a nut!

this is a kit I've just dropped in my 95 the other night, it was cheap so i thought id have it!

these are allegedly the same spring :blink:

straight from the shop i stripped the 95 and the cap preload was non existent this new one took some pushing in but its not bad on the ft lbd bit over but ill sort that out!

post-102306-0-76556000-1486677796_thumb.jpg

i take it you work on a press?!

i worked on a man for a few years, what a fcuking racket but german engineering at its best :thumbs:

atb si

• Like 2

Hi si yes on a heidelberg. Is that a tbt kit? The 99 is a pleasure to work on isn't it!

I think I'll polish the cyl out like a mirror then - it worked perfect on the 85 I just wanted to check people's opinions weather I should retain some cross hatching. The 99 is fat becoming one of my all time faveroutes.

• Like 1

yeah its a tbt, it was more or less half price on freeads never been used :thumbs:

didn't think it would make much difference cos id polished and fettled it when if first got it and that made a massive difference but its gone from a .22 pellet on the turret to a .177 moving a few mm

i cant see how polishing cylinder dose any harm!

if i see a 99 come up cheap I'm gonna get one for my lad :thumbs:

we had a kba at pindars, shifts on there were a walk in the park compared to the big web's :laugh:

if you can strip one of them down a 99's gonna be a walk in the park!! lol

atb si

• Like 1

No sunny Scarborough

Was a good place to work till they got taken over, half the printers got sacked or turned into nervous wrecks!

If it came from pinders was it a polyman that was on the get rid list

On the tbt front it's gonna get a good testing this Sunday :)

Atb si

No sunny Scarborough

Was a good place to work till they got taken over, half the printers got sacked or turned into nervous wrecks!

If it came from pinders was it a polyman that was on the get rid list

On the tbt front it's gonna get a good testing this Sunday :)

Atb si

Nope a heidelberg that also spent a bit of time at scarbrough too.

Hope your testing goes well on sunday!

• Like 1

Since you know its there it going to bother you so polish it out but what harms it really doing ?.

On other springers where I diddnt polish them out they marked the piston. I'm all for polishing them away but ill remove the crosshatching too. While talking to a guy at the range I mentioned polishing them out and he said never do that as you will remove the crosshatching wich is essential - which I don't think I agree with.

Surely the smoother the better?

• Like 1