Hi i got a few deer hides and have been looking how to cure them! i looked about and found some stuff on doing it yourself but nothing really clear.

so far iv stretched them out after washing them so there semi dry then covered with salt, will this work? or have you got something nice and simple i can do as im a bit of a thick git, chhers

I think the method depends on what your purpose for the skin is.

If it's a rug then I believe salting will be fine, I may be wrong please correct me if so but salting will cure the hide but make it a bit hard.

The solution you can buy on eBay similar to the alum pickle solution will leave the hides softer for use for example for clothing etc ?

That's how I understand it anyway...

I have a few bunny hides I'm going to have a go at before I dare tackle deer, but let me know how they turn out I'll be interested to hear the results ??

Salting just dehydrates it, as soon as moisture touches them they'll absorb it and rot. Wet hands, spilt drink, damp room is enough to cause it and one day you'll smell a good awful rotting maggoty stench from what was once a bone dry salty skin!

You need to treat them. Simplest way for most folks is brain tanning. It'll go like chamois leather after that and not absorb moisture.

• Like 1

Every animal has enough brain to tan its own hide .Take out the brain and mix it with hot water ,paint on then work sin over a post as said .Might have to rehydrate skin to allow it to absorb tanning .All taken from mountain men documentary lol,good old Tom .

I think the method depends on what your purpose for the skin is.

If it's a rug then I believe salting will be fine, I may be wrong please correct me if so but salting will cure the hide but make it a bit hard.

The solution you can buy on eBay similar to the alum pickle solution will leave the hides softer for use for example for clothing etc ?

That's how I understand it anyway...

I have a few bunny hides I'm going to have a go at before I dare tackle deer, but let me know how they turn out I'll be interested to hear the results ??

Salting the skin will not tan the skin. Salting really only takes the moisture out of the skin, but the hair will eventually start to fall out after some time.

• Like 1

ok this is where i am now! all the skins have been soaked in alum and salt for 48 hours, iv hung them out to dry (god knows what next door are thinking) the skin feels really grippy if that makes sense! the fur seems a bit loose as in it pulls out quite easy but il give them a good brush when there dry, fingers crossed they should be ok il keep you posted