Not A Bad Day Out

Woke up this morning to the sound of the alarm, the clock said 5am long before daylight.

My Daughter Rachael, her BF Brian, and her dog Gemma (now 9 mths old) were already on their way to my place; we packed the car and headed out, an hour drive to get to the property.

We arrived just after daybreak and the sunrise was scenic as the rays broke over the top of the hill.

We walked up the hill to the fence line where the burrows were, we could see a few rabbits go to ground, you beauty.

After a quick look, we prepared the first set with the purse nets, and entered my white jill, it wasn’t long before the first rabbit hit a net escaping, and disappearing into the long grass on the other side of the fence to where the dogs were, minutes later the second wasn’t so lucky, one in the bag.

After 5 mins the ferret emerged, we packed up and moved to the next set, on the way I took a moment to look around and enjoy the view, all the while I could hear the birds singing their morning songs ,I thought to myself how good is this.

This set had quite a few holes, with three people setting the nets it was done in no time, two ferrets entered, it didn’t take long the ground was rumbling the dogs watching with intent and anticipation, within 10 minutes another three in the bag, the dogs were working well, and Rachael was glowing with pride and joy as she watched her young pup, attack the task at hand with the enthusiasm and poise, for a young dog she was showing a maturity I have rarely seen, a natural no doubt!

I gutted the rabbits and the car wasn’t that far, Brian carried the rabbits and put them on ice in the eski, as Rachael and I moved to the next set and began setting the nets.

The dogs were looking hot, we walked across the field to a dam let them have a drink and a swim, then headed back and entered the ferrets, again within minutes the ground rumbling, dogs frantic as three rabbits bolted at the same time from three different holes, one escaping and another two in the bag, we laughed and joked about the mayhem.

Another two were caught before we picked up the ferrets and headed back to the car.

What a bloody great morning - Life is good!

Below is a few of the Photos and a link to the rest I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed the day.

LINK - http://imgur.com/a/BbiLk

NgyQKLRr.jpg0OA5T3d.jpg4nRNlFn.jpgl9f986j.jpgweJRCbm.jpgkKe6vQu.jpgV1fDeGO.jpgDZMNrSS.jpgCXczSr9.jpgI24b3mN.jpg2RtPusd.jpg3Z5p8Av.jpg

• Like 10

Looks like you all had a good day out.That place has dried out a bit i remember some more pictures from you and the grass was green when you were ferreting it.

Yea mate, he moved the sheep to a bigger paddock and the grass is up a bit, it always dries out this time of year. bloody hot! we only get a few hours in the morning before its to hot for the ferrets.

• Like 1