Looking For A 223

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, do you like the rifle, does it group,do things fall over when you pull the trigger, answer yes to all these questions, and the answer to your question is an emphatic NO mate, shoot it and enjoy.

Yep that Tikka takes a lot of beating. Got the .308 as well. Beautiful things. Jok.

Tikka, Savage, Ruger and Howa and so on all make decent rifles it really boils down to what you want it for and your budget, i have 223 savage axis great rifle out of the box and its under a MOA rifle

I'm wondering why nobody comes up with the browning, have I bought a wrongun??????

I had a Browning in .243 and to be honest the trigger was like a rusty bog door latch. It couldn't be reworked as it was made of cast components and there where no after market triggers available for it. I am very fussy when it comes to triggers so i parted with it and bought another Tikka instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Would be interesting to know why the comment as I'm fairly new to centre fire and would appreciate it if I have bought the wrong tool for the job for someone to tell me

never had a browning in 223. but i have a browning in 22lr. if they make 223's like 22lr's based on my rifle yours should be a good one. its build quality is superior than any 22lr i have come across. accuracy is very very good also. but saying that my browning is an older model.

sometimes even the best makes can make a friday afternoon rifle and some of the worse brand can sometimes make a good rifle. it can be a lottery with any brand. so its worth considering that as well as brand. if possible its always good to try before buying especially second hand.

it can be a lottery as its also about ammo matching the gun not always will a realy good branded gun match local ammo availability.

as for Remington. my guess is they are thrown together quickly. - get what you pay for. both the remmington 700's in 223 I have owned shot quarter inch moa or a little less, but i had to replace the trigger's for that and stocks. and reload. i would say rem build quality is average. probable not as good out of the box compared to tikka. tikka and remmington 700's are very up-gradable. an upgraded rem can outshoot a tikka IF you are lucky and get a good one. but there is more chance of getting a good tikka out the box as production standards are tighter, tikka also do some nice older models. saying that i love my remmington 700, and after the upgrades and work she shoots nice. but be prepared to spend extra on a rem. howa are not bad quality for the price. what ever is brought there is a good chance you will want to upgrade something. the trigger is worth upgrading on many makes in my opinion. and JEWELL make ammmmmmazzing triggers. might be worth considering what upgrades available before you buy the rifle if wanting to upgrade.

where possible try before buying as everyone might recommend a make or model then you yourself don't like it for personal preference reasons. one mans poison is another mans wine.

Edited by riflehunter583
  • Like 1

Out of my price range but why has no-one mentioned the Sako 85?

Who knows, but possibly because the OP says ..............what are decent run of the mill makes..................... and maybe people associate the Sako with a slightly elevated position!

Edited by Deker
  • 4 weeks later...