Looking For A 223

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, do you like the rifle, does it group,do things fall over when you pull the trigger, answer yes to all these questions, and the answer to your question is an emphatic NO mate, shoot it and enjoy.

Yep that Tikka takes a lot of beating. Got the .308 as well. Beautiful things. Jok.

Tikka, Savage, Ruger and Howa and so on all make decent rifles it really boils down to what you want it for and your budget, i have 223 savage axis great rifle out of the box and its under a MOA rifle

Not a fan of fluted barrels. They're good if you intend to hurl a lot of lead downrange in a short time like target shooting, but other than that, not my cup of tea.

I have a Tikka T3 lite in 223. My son has a Howa 1500 in 223. Both are really good kit. :thumbs:

Walshie has it as usual. :thumbs:

A little more ...... I have the .223 Tikka and it is reliable and accurate, I have experience of the Remington Varmint .223, also very accurate but ridiculously heavy.

One to seriously consider is the CZ plastic stock .223. My experience with it shows it to be very accurate and relatively inexpensive, and light, used to be the old 527 synthetic but may now be http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-m1-american-223-rem-flush-mount-magazine/

I'm wondering why nobody comes up with the browning, have I bought a wrongun??????

Yes! :laugh::thumbs:

Would be interested to know why you said that deker. Is it a personnel thing or is it that are not very good???????

...or is it he was joking? :laugh::thumbs:

I've got a howa1500 a mate has a tikka. Both good rifles but , I'm fussy with triggers. I fitted a timney to mine and it's awesome. The cheapy hogue flexes at the forend. Not great on a bipod. Fitted a boyds laminate. Neither were megabucks as I imported them from the US. My mates tikka was good straight out the box but more expensive. Both shoot very well. Can't comment on the other makes, but as much as I love my howa, I'd go for the tikka.

Would you worry much about twist rate also

Depends entirely on of you are planning on doing deer with it or not.

For fox, you don't really need anything more than the ability to chuck a 45 or 50gn vmax at 3k fps+ which most twist rates will handle.

If your planning on deer you will probably want to be throwing heavier bullets so twist rate becomes more of a factor.

Would be interesting to know why the comment as I'm fairly new to centre fire and would appreciate it if I have bought the wrong tool for the job for someone to tell me

Ok, do you like the rifle, does it group,do things fall over when you pull the trigger, answer yes to all these questions, and the answer to your question is an emphatic NO mate, shoot it and enjoy.

• Like 2

Tikka, Savage, Ruger and Howa and so on all make decent rifles it really boils down to what you want it for and your budget, i have 223 savage axis great rifle out of the box and its under a MOA rifle i was very spectacle at first but when i made a few tweaks its really blew some rifle i have used out of the water.

good luck with your choice its hard to choose with so many brands available.

• Like 1

The Tikka's are available in both a 1:8 or 1:12 twist. It's a good rifle. The manufacturer guarantees three-shot MOA groups. I recently had a T3X Varmint with a 1:8 barrel and it was very accurate with 55 grain and heavier bullets. The CZ 527 is another good rifle in .223. It has a single set trigger which makes it great for hunting and shooting from the bench.