i'd use an old rock or the back door step before a blade tech.

buy some cheap knives at a car boot or similar, a cheap sharpening stone from a hardware shop and a bottle of 3 in 1 oil then learn how to use it. you can get guides that clip onto the blade if your not happy free handing them but they aren't really needed imho.

I would say don't use a cheap oil stone. An India oil stone is good. If your dad was a carpenter that is likely what you have (orangy coluor on smooth side and grey on coarse)Plenty of vids on yoube on sharpening a knife with an oil stone. Although saying that they all seem to do it opposite to me. I work from tip to handle and stroke away from cutting edge. Most of the vids seem to stroke into cutting edge. I am a carpenter myself and sharpened a lot of knives and tools in my time. A strop on a bit of leather to finish with if you want to shave with it. I have leather stuck on the lid of my oil stone box for this purpose.

• Like 1

I would say don't use a cheap oil stone. An India oil stone is good. If your dad was a carpenter that is likely what you have (orangy coluor on smooth side and grey on coarse)Plenty of vids on yoube on sharpening a knife with an oil stone. Although saying that they all seem to do it opposite to me. I work from tip to handle and stroke away from cutting edge. Most of the vids seem to stroke into cutting edge. I am a carpenter myself and sharpened a lot of knives and tools in my time. A strop on a bit of leather to finish with if you want to shave with it. I have leather stuck on the lid of my oil stone box for this purpose.

The ones my late Dad used are still in his shed,they are covered in a wooden block,I don't think they are coloured differently, his old shed is like an Aladdin's cave!

The ones my late Dad used are still in his shed,they are covered in a wooden block,I don't think they are coloured differently, his old shed is like an Aladdin's cave!

Hi mate , abit off topic , but we lost my father inlaw last year and he has 3 sheds full of handy tools and bits n pieces . Its a terrible shame they are not with us anymore and not nice to go in their sheds , but at least we can use their lifetimes worth of handy things and remember them with a little smile now and then. Oh and yes definately get that oil stone out ....

• Like 1

Hi mate , abit off topic , but we lost my father inlaw last year and he has 3 sheds full of handy tools and bits n pieces . Its a terrible shame they are not with us anymore and not nice to go in their sheds , but at least we can use their lifetimes worth of handy things and remember them with a little smile now and then. Oh and yes definately get that oil stone out ....
I know life is very cruel,my Dads shed was his sanctuary and has been there all my 47 years,I have very fond memories of my Dad in that shed from a very young age till he passed from him breeding budgies to having something in his vice,my first ever terrier was kenneled and run in that shed,built by my Dad.When he first passed I'd go in there and have a secret cry,now I walk in there take a deep breath in and swear I can smell his workclothes and say out loud"Right then Dad I need some help to find a certain tool"
  • Like 4

Griff . Think about some of the blades they produced and kept sharp, cutting folks in half with one strike. ( did I really watch that). Mate this water stone is GOOD. Not soft at all. As above, I have all the self made boxed oil stones, the 3 in one and loads more besides. All my gralloching gear I do with a diamond stone. Nice edge on most blades but as you know we all have our favourites and stick to them. My advice to this fella would be to take his knife to the local butcher who will grind and hone it for him then all he has to do is keep an edge on it. Just my opinion. Jok.

• Like 1

Griff . Think about some of the blades they produced and kept sharp, cutting folks in half with one strike. ( did I really watch that). Mate this water stone is GOOD. Not soft at all. As above, I have all the self made boxed oil stones, the 3 in one and loads more besides. All my gralloching gear I do with a diamond stone. Nice edge on most blades but as you know we all have our favourites and stick to them. My advice to this fella would be to take his knife to the local butcher who will grind and hone it for him then all he has to do is keep an edge on it. Just my opinion. Jok.

Good idea Jok

Patterdale I have an electronic butchers wet stone here and half a dozen sharpening stones that suite different metals ... without sounding like a know all geek I'm pretty good at getting blades to a razor sharp finish ... if you want you can send me the knife and I will edge and hone it for you and send it back .......

• Like 7

Patterdale I have an electronic butchers wet stone here and half a dozen sharpening stones that suite different metals ... without sounding like a know all geek I'm pretty good at getting blades to a razor sharp finish ... if you want you can send me the knife and I will edge and hone it for you and send it back .......

Pm on way,cheers