Beagle X Russell Pup???

Hi,just bought what I thought and was led to believe was a beagle x Russell pup,and this is where my problem lays.The pup is big and chunky,fluffy and is the absolute double of a collie pup,colour,markings the lot.On picking the pup up from the farm,we was greeted by an oldish farmer who had a pack of beagles which he worked locally on bunnies.He went to explain that the mating was accidental, and that sire could only be one of his beagle pack as he excised his jrt bitch with the pack,but occasionally left them to their own devices when cleaning the kennels out.On explaining this to us and showing us the pup there was aloud eruption of barking behind him.There stood a young farm collie bucking on his chain!!.The collie he later explained was 8months old and the pup I bought (stupidly I'm thinking!) At the time was 10 weeks old,which given the collies age and including the bitchs gestation period of 9 week,would roughly make the collie 4months old at the time the bitch was caught.Now I know 4months is young for a dog to sire,but could it be possible??My pup was the only black and white pup the rest was white and tan.In all fairness only one threw beagley looking with the ears but how do I explain the long fluffy coat on mine??Has anyone else experienced anything like this??I'd put a pic up but don't know how to use photo bucket.Also could you please put your picks up of your pups if similar??cheers

Hi,just bought what I thought and was led to believe was a beagle x Russell pup,and this is where my problem lays.The pup is big and chunky,fluffy and is the absolute double of a collie pup,colour,markings the lot.On picking the pup up from the farm,we was greeted by an oldish farmer who had a pack of beagles which he worked locally on bunnies.He went to explain that the mating was accidental, and that sire could only be one of his beagle pack as he excised his jrt bitch with the pack,but occasionally left them to their own devices when cleaning the kennels out.On explaining this to us and showing us the pup there was aloud eruption of barking behind him.There stood a young farm collie bucking on his chain!!.The collie he later explained was 8months old and the pup I bought (stupidly I'm thinking!) At the time was 10 weeks old,which given the collies age and including the bitchs gestation period of 9 week,would roughly make the collie 4months old at the time the bitch was caught.Now I know 4months is young for a dog to sire,but could it be possible??My pup was the only black and white pup the rest was white and tan.In all fairness only one threw beagley looking with the ears but how do I explain the long fluffy coat on mine??Has anyone else experienced anything like this??I'd put a pic up but don't know how to use photo bucket.Also could you please put your picks up of your pups if similar??cheers

The collie cannot be the sire so you will just have to wait for the ugly duckling and swan syndrome to take effect.Did you source the pup in Haworth?,he sold a beagle that made 23" at 9 months and a Bedlington terrier that became a good sized lurcher.

• Like 3

No Morton,was on a farm out towards Malton, north yorkshire.The real niggly thing from my point of view is the coat and colour.He's marked exactly the same as the collie,black saddle,ringed white neck,black head with white split down the muzzle and long coat.The colour could well come from both the beagle and Russell,that's not uncommon.But how do you explain the long jacket and size.When do beagle pups stop growing?

No Morton,was on a farm out towards Malton, north yorkshire.The real niggly thing from my point of view is the coat and colour.He's marked exactly the same as the collie,black saddle,ringed white neck,black head with white split down the muzzle and long coat.The colour could well come from both the beagle and Russell,that's not uncommon.But how do you explain the long jacket and size.When do beagle pups stop growing?

You bought it mucker,enter and educate it with all your honest intent and take it from there,ill nearly warrant it will suit as much as you may let it.good luck.

The collie cannot be the sire so you will just have to wait for the ugly duckling and swan syndrome to take effect.Did you source the pup in Haworth?,he sold a beagle that made 23" at 9 months and a Bedlington terrier that became a good sized lurcher.

Out of interest why couldn't the collie be the sire? Accepting that it is unlikely but certainly not impossible unless I am missing something.

I plan to enter him like,just really can't help but think he's a collie x,never seen a collie x bushing wouldn't fancy one if I'm honest.Wanted a beagle x Russell for a reason

I would take a gamble on collie russell for bushing me self so just put some time into it and see how it turns out bud

• Like 1

From what I gather,cause I've risen my concerns with the farmer since.The only collie about to his knowledge is his bucking bandit on the chain.The farm itself is quite remote so I reckon there's more than a grain of truth in what he's saying.The interesting thing he did mention was,round about the time of conception, he did have a male black and white beagle in his kennels.unfortunately he had to part company with it,as it kept harassing the local deer population.. But that didn't explain my pups coat?...could it just be puppy fluff as the farmer says?

From what I gather,cause I've risen my concerns with the farmer since.The only collie about to his knowledge is his bucking bandit on the chain.The farm itself is quite remote so I reckon there's more than a grain of truth in what he's saying.The interesting thing he did mention was,round about the time of conception, he did have a male black and white beagle in his kennels.unfortunately he had to part company with it,as it kept harassing the local deer population.. But that didn't explain my pups coat?...could it just be puppy fluff as the farmer says?

I think he's pulling the puppy fluff over your eyes
  • Like 4

I plan to enter him like,just really can't help but think he's a collie x,never seen a collie x bushing wouldn't fancy one if I'm honest.Wanted a beagle x Russell for a reason

I would take a gamble on collie russell for bushing me self so just put some time into it and see how it turns out bud

W katchum of here did a litter of collie x Lakeland and they did there job well enough , get a pic up