Any advice on Saltwater Fly Reels.....?

They're expensive, there's an Airflo one that's about £70. Or look on Fleabay for a anodised Chinese jobby.

If you're not using them loads, I'd go for a Okuma Airframe. Cheap as chips, ok drag and graphite so fairly salt water resistant (always rinse).

In my experience they are finicky feeders and difficult to catch.

The best way to catch them and this is from the "Medway Mullet King." Paternoster bread flake on a small stout hook, using a bag of netted bread as a chum bag. With a quiver tip, something like an Avon type rod. I have not tried this method, but will do this coming Summer.

Best of all they fight like stink, broad powerful fish.

Any one eaten one?

• Like 1

I went to Spain one year, got in with the local Spanish lads and went fishing for Mullet.( big, shy mullet)

The method they taught me is very crude but boy does it catch mullet.

Simply throw some bread into the sea, watch it drift and on reaching the mullet they feed by snatch biting at a fist sized piece of French stick bread.

The local lads would tie a size 16 hook every 4 inches on a length of 2 lbs bottom line about 36 inches long and then simply wrap this around the French bread attached to a 3 lbs main line and clutch set accordingly. The mullet snatch bite and always get caught. :good:

atb Mark

• Like 1

I went to Spain one year, got in with the local Spanish lads and went fishing for Mullet.( big, shy mullet)

The method they taught me is very crude but boy does it catch mullet.

Simply throw some bread into the sea, watch it drift and on reaching the mullet they feed by snatch biting at a fist sized piece of French stick bread.

The local lads would tie a size 16 hook every 4 inches on a length of 2 lbs bottom line about 36 inches long and then simply wrap this around the French bread attached to a 3 lbs main line and clutch set accordingly. The mullet snatch bite and always get caught. :good:

atb Mark

Must be a popular method over there. I saw a similar method utilising small treble hooks, by some german lads in the marina at Puerto Pollensa, Majorca some years ago. Of course, I bought some and tried it, and yes it makes it ridiculously easy so after a couple of fish I went back to my usual method. I always used to take a freshwater rod and floats etc, and some pre-tied hooks to nylon in sizes 18-20-22.

They used to do a long square sliced loaf out there and you could work it into crumb in your hand. It dispersed nicely in the water causing a nice cloud of crumb and the mullet would go mad for it. Used to fish over it with a waggler on the drop with a couple of No8 shot down the line, bit like fishing punched bread really. Bites were fast like dace, but had mullet to 3+lbs.

Have eaten a few from the sea and they eat similar to bass, also ate one I caught out of the kentish Rother above Iden Lock and it must have been there some time as it had a bit of a muddy flavour. Mind you it was a big one back in the 70's at 5lb 4oz. Had been catching a few bream and wondered what the fcuk I'd hooked, it went like a train. :laugh:

• Like 2

I use these tiny shrimp,but if you notice they all have an orange spot to there abdomen,the mullet hit these harder for some reason maybe it's the taste of a shrimp with a full stomach,or it's a sign the shrimp is at its best...bread fly and mesh bag full of bread(chum) will always work,but you don't get the satisfaction of working a shrimp hard off the bottom or on the drop,and yes hold on tight cuz pound for pound they fight like foook! And yes more people should eat mullet goes really well in a curry with a bit of fresh picked samphire,and as for reels well I have spent silly money on them and I can say,buy a cheap one and bin it when it gives up the ghost, no amount of titanium or anodising will stop salt water,it's just a matter of time,that's why even a £500 reel is advertised as saltwater resistant,not saltwater proof!!

Tight lines.

• Like 2

I use these tiny shrimp,but if you notice they all have an orange spot to there abdomen,the mullet hit these harder for some reason maybe it's the taste of a shrimp with a full stomach,or it's a sign the shrimp is at its best...bread fly and mesh bag full of bread(chum) will always work,but you don't get the satisfaction of working a shrimp hard off the bottom or on the drop,and yes hold on tight cuz pound for pound they fight like foook! And yes more people should eat mullet goes really well in a curry with a bit of fresh picked samphire,and as for reels well I have spent silly money on them and I can say,buy a cheap one and bin it when it gives up the ghost, no amount of titanium or anodising will stop salt water,it's just a matter of time,that's why even a £500 reel is advertised as saltwater resistant,not saltwater proof!!

Tight lines.

post-101873-0-30030700-1486070575_thumb.jpg

• Like 1