Bumper Afternoon Wild Boar

Here we take meat samples of the cheek, diaphragm muscle and front legs out from every boar which meat is going to be used and take them to the vet.

It is very typical to preserve the game meat as chorizo, "longaniza" or cured with salt and dried where no heat is used so for safety reasons we always do it.

Small price for such yummy stuff!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here were not allowed to shoot sows followed by piglets, so when you stalk it is easy to check, but in driven hunts it is obviously more difficult to judge the animal so we only check if they aren't followed by piglets.

You also have to consider that boars here are a real problem, specially in my region. They are a real pest and usually we have permission to shoot them all year round. With this I mean that population management really is focused on reducing the numbers.

Be careful in Britain with these pigs, they can get out of control in very short time and they are a real nuisance for ground nesting birds and recently born fawns (and great crop destroyers).

The one in the pic wasn't followed by any piglet obviously. It arrived with a bigger one.

Cheers!

Believe me, that isn't good news.

They are very intelligent, adaptable, strong and opportunistic, don't have predators in Britain and have large litters.

I hope your hunting authorities stop that "Disney" attitude and allow you to use dogs to chase them. For the sake of a balanced environment.

I cleared my hunting ground off them last weekend (around 20 dogs working) and this morning there were tracks all over the place!!

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

Look at this one. One of my hunting pals shot it on an alfalfa field with a special pest permit (well, not that special, in fact quite common nowadays).

He wasn´t a big one but look how fat he was and how big his tusks are. I guess not enough for a 300 win mag :)

Cheers!

post-93320-0-95917800-1492016760.jpg

post-93320-0-56857500-1492016768.jpg

• Like 1

Hi.

Nice pics and beautiful landscape.

Slugs at less than 25 metres are devastating. Sauvestres and remingtons are the main choice around here.

Just one question; do you have the meat analysed by a vet?

Down here if the meat isn't going to be cooked by heat it is highly recommended to avoid trichynosis desease. Just curious, no intention to alarm!

cheers

i have eaten untold amounts of wild boar but i always ensure its well cooked.

there is people here in canada who eat bear meat,which trichynosis is prevalent in also.

not tried bear meat and dont think i ever will lol

Bear taste better than hog/boar in my book.