Bumper Afternoon Wild Boar

Shotgun with slugs?

Great post! :thumbs:

2 types in my hand brenneke and sauvestre. The sauvestre are kinda missile like with dart flights, you can see on the packaging in the link below what im trying to describe badly.

https://www.decathlon.fr/balle-speed-brenneke-id_8159345.html

https://www.decathlon.fr/balle-fleche-calibre-12-id_1119640.html

20170114_144529_zpshuemrghi.jpg

• Like 2

Lots of different scenarios, but most common on this particular area for boar (as its surrounded by other hunts all doing the same!) is.. Everyone is keeping an eye out for signs the boar are in a wood, lots of little woods and the boar are constantly on the move. So people out looking for prints and any damge theyll cause by feeding and narrow it down to certain areas, its 50/50 if theyve moved on though between being found (if they were ever resting up there) and everyone getting together.

Lads with hounds will get the phone call first, see what pack are available, and then everyone else will get a message or a phone call to come and meet. Then basically sign in the game register and line out, rifles cover the bigger areas and shotguns the tighter spots, 20% rifle men, but lots have got both. Hounds are entered and the pigs get moving. & the heart start boom boom booming! haha.

The above is the communal rustic version - down to earth, I also go to private hunts which can be a lot more 'bourgeois' and bigger areas of forestry normally managed for big game. Better to stay with the hounds in that scenario for me, as if you are a gun you may not see or hear anything all day! Ive killed more pigs this way with a knife than I have with a gun, but the depends on the hounds of course.

Its a good day and something I plan on doing a lot more of, a few years ago I was out all the time but priorities changed, im trying to change them back a bit.

Edited by Waz
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Nice pics and beautiful landscape.

Slugs at less than 25 metres are devastating. Sauvestres and remingtons are the main choice around here.

Just one question; do you have the meat analysed by a vet?

Down here if the meat isn't going to be cooked by heat it is highly recommended to avoid trichynosis desease. Just curious, no intention to alarm!

cheers

• Like 1

Hi.

Slugs at less than 25 metres are devastating. Sauvestres and remingtons are the main choice around here.

Down here if the meat isn't going to be cooked by heat it is highly recommended to avoid trichynosis desease. Just curious, no intention to alarm!

cheers

i have eaten untold amounts of wild boar but i always ensure its well cooked.

there is people here in canada who eat bear meat,which trichynosis is prevalent in also.

not tried bear meat and dont think i ever will lol

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.

cheers

No, but one of us is a butcher and has done the meat inspection training. I know in Germany they take a blood sample for analysis but nothing like that here. Their is no history of problems here.