Cold And Frosty Morning

Had a good breakfast then off out i went with Nell and my pup penny. i let the pup off the lead to burn off some energy, and boy has she got some, cant do nowt with her till she has had that first run, then i put her back on the lead and got down to some work, Nell straight away marked a warren, slipped a stinker and boom, one in the bag for Nell, with pup at my side looking on, later on into our mooch, nell marked again under some blackthorn bushes, cleared a passage to lay a couple of nets, i just have the 3 what i was given, anyways that was 2 in the bag, i wa more than happy with the 2 so made for home, we came along some hedgerows, and once again nell marked, and here is the interesting bit, of which i am pleased, i counted at least 8 holes, by this time the pup was off the lead following nell, the pup wandered off up the hedgerows, stuck her face down a bolt hole and refused to move, so no nets used i slipped the stinker down where nell marked, sat back with both dogs at my side, then out the bugger came, from the hole the pup had her face into, made my day did that, the pup must have smelt the bunny was close, so as the rabbit bolted, i let both dogs loose, and they both pounced so with 3 in the bag, home we came, thanks to the moderator for accepting my post

post-59960-0-10870500-1485011615_thumb.jpg

Edited by iworkwhippets
  • Like 4

Do you not leave the dogs loose to work the warren whilst the ferret is in mate ... I've found this to be the best way to bring a pup on ... they quickly learn any mistakes and are soon hovering over the hole the rabbit is going to bolt from ......

• Like 2

Do you not leave the dogs loose to work the warren whilst the ferret is in mate ... I've found this to be the best way to bring a pup on ... they quickly learn any mistakes and are soon hovering over the hole the rabbit is going to bolt from ......

true ken, but i have noticed that it can back fire on you as well , as the rabbit will be reluctant to bolt if it can sense a dog over a bolt hole.it's one of them, it bring a dog quick as you say, but can stop bolts and end up digging . the pup did well , she using her nose now :thumbs:

I did notice if the rabbit tries to bolt and the dog is in front of the hole and it goes back down the dog soon learns to be a bit sly and either not move or stand back a bit.

I have often seen a stalemate where the rabbit is sat in the entrance and the dog is froze to the spot peeping at you out of the corner of its eye and peeping back at the rabbit. All exciting stuff :)

socks, very rare shes on the lead these days, but some places for her own safety i put her on a lead, like yesterday, one of the warrens i worked was riddled with barbed wire, elec fences, and under blackthorn bushes, so sometimes, i just sit back with her by my side, let her watch, when the rabbit bolts, and its safe to let her go , i do but im more than pleased the way in which she works the warrens, when my bitch goes in, no matter how thick the undergrowth, the pup will follow, and do her own thing, i was well pleased with her marking yesterday, more so than the actual catch

heres hoping your dog is on the mend

post-59960-0-33498800-1485101501_thumb.jpg

• Like 2