Two Hours Of Cat & Mouse - Fox Vs .17Hornet

Well yesterday a land owner asked if I could remove a fox from his land, it was becoming a nusianse.

I arrived at 20:00 to get set up, I loaded a bait station with fresh rabbits with fox pro inferno in position. I was using my CZ527 .17Hornet with nitesite eagle, I used a bushnell NV spotter and was shooting off my primos trigger sticks my old faithfuls.

Anyway I got in position 100yards away and started calling on the fox pro, after 1hr of calling I was thinking of pulling 4x4 down to sit in it was a little cold but bring from Yorkshire so I carried on :-) at this point I scanned behind me and there it was sat bloody behind me against a tree.

I was on right and side of the fox and it was locked onto the caller, it worked it's way down the edge line, at one point within 100yd but no safe back stop for a shot, I needed it in front of me. At this point I'd mounted rifle with nitesite following it waiting for a safe shot opportunity, this went on for 20 minutes which felt like a lifetime.

It then decided to sit up approx 150yard away from bait station, i left it for 5 mins but looked like it was spooked, at this point I decided to move position to get a safe shot, it's attention was still on the fox pro so I managed to move across the field despite the frosty ground crunching under my feet like I was walking on cornflakes lol.

Anyway I got in position and turned the IR up on the eagle the fox then looked straight at me, I had it in crosshairs and was in steady position, I slipped safety off and pulled trigger, dropping the fox on the spot.

Love nights like this when you have to really work for the shot. I then carried on and cleared a few more rabbits.

post-87750-0-47986600-1484505036_thumb.jpg

• Like 3