best scope

Hi all,

out of interest what do you think the best scope for deer stalking is?

In my opinion it has to be a fixed ret German Schmidt & Bender; but I'm sure there will be plenty on here with other opinions. As with all hunting items but especially with optics, buy the best you can aford!

Two thengs your av British hunter underestimates, just how important good optics are, and likewise a good knife....

Hi :thumbs:

I have to agree with your first reply.

Anything other than fixed mag' is a bit of a waste of money since lots buy zoom scopes and then leave them set on x4 for example. I would rate the Shmidt and Bender 8 x 56 as a great low light scope. As most of us shoot either at dawn or at dusk this has got to be a priority.

Most people can't tell the diff' between the German make or the same scope from Hungary.

Likewise there is not much diff' between 25mm and 30mm body but on balance I would opt for the 30mm as it is supposed to let more light in.

Finally, and this is just my preference, I also went for my bino's in 8 x 56 as well. This is so having spotted a deer with the glasses you see it exactly the same size when you decide to shoot and swap over to the scope. This can help for judging range etc just before you shoot. Not much good looking at it through x10 or 12 bino's and deciding to shoot only to find it is out of range when you look through the scope!!

Also, spend as much as you can or the wife will let you. If the rifle cost you about £600-700 then you should aim to spend

about 50% as much on the scope. I know it sounds a lot but it really is worth it. As the S & B 8x56 is around £380 then I think this is about right.

As to which reticule, over to you. Lots of stalkers find the strong posts of the german no. 4 very good in low light.

Can't tell you anything about illuminated reticules as I've nether used one.

Good hunting

:bye:

Not much help but i m getting a big rifle soon and all the deer stalkers and fox shooter`s i know said ....Alwas buy the best you can afford and buy the scope first then the rifle i suppose it is so you dont get a shite scope and go out missing the beast`s.

definatly agree with lord b, schmidt and bender make top quality optics and are worth the money, buy the best you can afford. any of the top makes of scopes are good tho, Zeiss, leupold etc ect, there all pritty much in the same league.

Regards

Aaron

Hopefully someone can help me with this one whilst we are here......I am curious to know why so many people seem to suggest a fixed mag scope for deer. Mine is variable mag with sidewheel parallax. On the basis that it is not that uncommon to take deer between 200-400 yards and most fixed scopes are set with a 100 yard parallax I'm not sure how this works out. Are you guys always playing with the ocular focus to get everything sharpe?

It's just a question, I have parallax adjustment on all my scopes now and have gradually changed over from fixed to variable mag during the last few years.

Cheers

Deker

Edited by Deker

1000686je2.jpg

have had swarovskis all my days now had nightforce for 5years they are the dogs not cheap but you only buy once , old story you get what you pay for does what it says on the tin all the best for christmas rgds remmy. :drink::drink::drink:

Edited by remmy

IF all your doing is stalking, the yes maybe fixed power is ok but i prefer to have, A variable power scope for the simple fact if you want to practise at extended ranges, plus you only have one dual purpose gun, then i would suggest a variable power scope, you don't have to go nuts and get the highest mag you can get, but most long range shooters go between 3.5x10 or 12 no higher. :thumbs:

1000686je2.jpg

have had swarovskis all my days now had nightforce for 5years they are the dogs not cheap but you only buy once , old story you get what you pay for does what it says on the tin all the best for christmas rgds remmy. :drink::drink::drink:

Will you stop posting pictures of that scope, I go a deeper shade of Green every time I see it. AND...what have you done to the gun, is that before the coat of dulux or have you painted it again?

Deker

PS..... if anyone is still wondering what to get me for Christmas ...theres a little hint for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Have to have a little rant now about those Nightforce scopes, i have had S&B and leuopold in the past and i changed to Nightforce in 2003 and i have to say there is nothing even close to them for reliability, i have not had to re zero my 6.5 since 03(although i check it on targets regularly) and i was out on monday in the rain with my tikka 223 and i slippd on some wet rocks and landed on the rifle very heavily, i was expecting to have a pile of dust and glass when i took the scope caps off, perfect, checked it on a target yesterday and it was spot on at 200, i cannot stress how hard a fell on that gun and how worth every penny those scopes are, its the old story, good things are never cheap and cheap things are never good. :toast:

Have to say the nightforce are well built, but i found the low light performance on them poor, imho. not looking to start off but do you lads not find this to be so...? :thumbs:

snapshot i know what you mean mate they still are very,very good but i think S&B have the edge pm11 anyway in low light conditions rgds remmy. :tongue2: