So what spuds are people going to plant this year ?

As a main I love Desiree for mash but haven't bothered with main the last couple of years really no point as they are so cheap.

But I do grow a second and early spuds. I like Kestrel as they seem to mash, chip well. As a first early last year I tried Maris Bard and they were ok. All ways a job to know :)

were sticking with julliette (salad)grown them the the last 2 years and done really well with them , main crop are cheap and got to make the best of the room we have , saying that managed to get another 7 raised beds in for this year on some ground thats had hens on for the last 3 years

Might be of interest to any gardener really, the following. Sales@seedparade.co.uk. We'll worth a scout, the prices will amaze and they package all the familiar varieties. (Don't know about spuds) I think a little look myself is in order. Jok.

• Like 1

The same as every thing else potatoes are subjective what you like I may not and vice versa, that is why there are so many varieties. In work we have so many varieties throughout the year, must be close to 15 different varieties. Each has their own particular texture, taste and time when they are at their peak.

Potatoes take a lot of their taste from the ground they are grown in, the ph of the soil, temperature, rainfall and weather will all have a bearing on how the final article will cook and taste. Many years ago I tried International Kidneys (Jersey royals) They were a disaster, broke up when boiling even with the skins on and the taste was no where near what a Jersey Royal should taste like.

With potatoes find what grows well in your soil type and has a taste that you like and use those as your main stay, try a few other varieties each year just for fun, you never know you may find a peach of a variety that really suits you.

TC

Ill be sticking with Charlottes. They grow well in my allotment and worms and slugs dont attack them so i dont need to put any pellets etc down.

Those are my go to first earlies, nice flavour, boil well and make cracking fried potatoes when left to go cold.

TC

• 1 month later...