Trout Fishing: How Much Kit Do You Carry?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will put pic on later. I have a greys ultralite 5' 6", great rod, took grilse and salmon on it when out for trout.     That grilse was about 5lb.

The toby lures are next to the small bull head devon minnows, the other ones are the same profile as the large on on the bottom pic. I call the small ones wigglers are they spin round and wiggle in th

I big one is a lure i designed myself,i like playing about making things and trying them out, i made jigs to make them in 6 different sizes, i also make them in a toby style body, alters the action a

There's a few lures made on that principle now like the savage gear line thrus and mr whiggly . It's a good way of doing it although it's mainly done on the line thrus and whigglys to protect the soft plastic from getting ripped up . I've had Toby's in the past but never had a fish on them but then again I hardly used them so it was a viscous circle . How do you find the hook up ratio with them rapalas , ive seen it said on other forums that they are poor hookers . Can't really see it myself because the back treble is free and they are not a big deep sided lure .

• Like 1

There's a few lures made on that principle now like the savage gear line thrus and mr whiggly . It's a good way of doing it although it's mainly done on the line thrus and whigglys to protect the soft plastic from getting ripped up . I've had Toby's in the past but never had a fish on them but then again I hardly used them so it was a viscous circle . How do you find the hook up ratio with them rapalas , ive seen it said on other forums that they are poor hookers . Can't really see it myself because the back treble is free and they are not a big deep sided lure .

I find the rapala ok for hooking, some rivers i fish you can only use 1 treble, i would leave the rear one on in that situation. I think any baits you use you have to have confidence in them, i personally have never touched a fish on a tazmanian devil, i know lots of people like them.

• Like 1

I've got rapala j-13's , dt-4's and shad raps and not had any problems hooking up with them . I'd love to know what people are doing with them to not hook up properly although I suspect their hooks might need a bit of a tickle . Your right about having confidence in lures . One of my favourite pike lures is the squirrely burt but if you Google them you will see they are a marmite lure , some people just can't get a fish on them and others get loads

• Like 1

Personally with the rapala i think the fish hit them really hard and i have my drag set very soft so the fish can draw a bit of line off the drag as i hit it, otherwise i think the tear the hook hold out.

lifelong cumbrian, on 11 Jan 2017 - 10:42 PM, said:

neil r, on 11 Jan 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

Personally with the rapala i think the fish hit them really hard and i have my drag set very soft so the fish can draw a bit of line off the drag as i hit it, otherwise i think the tear the hook hold out.

I wonder if the choice of mono or braid is a factor with hook ups? I use braid for sea fishing, but I have so far stayed with mono for the bit of freshwater fishing I do...On a small spinning rod, I suspect braids lack of stretch might make it a bit harsh when striking?

lifelong cumbrian, on 11 Jan 2017 - 5:34 PM, said:

I will put pic on later. I have a greys ultralite 5' 6", great rod, took grilse and salmon on it when out for trout.

grilse001.jpg

That grilse was about 5lb.

Lovely little rod!One thr new version, I believe they have restyled the handle to a more modern looking two piece, which while functional lacks the charm of yours...

I wonder if the choice of mono or braid is a factor with hook ups? I use braid for sea fishing, but I have so far stayed with mono for the bit of freshwater fishing I do...On a small spinning rod, I suspect braids lack of stretch might make it a bit harsh when striking?

I will only use braid for lure fishing and all my rods from the ultralights to the 180-300g jerkbait and swimbait rods are fast action or xtra fast action and I don't suffer many drop offs with it . The only time it happened was when I first got into to jerkbaits and I tried using a jw super shooter rod and was loosing more than I was landing and the problem was the rod was too soft and wasn't setting the hook properly , not the harshness off the braid . If your using mono in freshwater have a look at one of the softer flourocarbon lines if your local shop has any , they have less stretch than mono but more than braid . If it's the normal harder stuff it might be a bit springy and unruly which will lead to tangles with light lures and a fixed spool reel . Edited by neil r

That's what I do with perch because of their delicate mouths . With my multiplier set ups for pike though , I basically lock the clutch up and even though some of the hits are savage it needs to be done to set the hooks properly

I think you you need your drag set a bit lighter with braid than mono when salmon river fishing, i know it goes against why you use braid ( no or little stretch) but i think when a salmon take a lure or fly it comes out of its lie and turn back to its lie if the drag is set lighter you can hook it going back, i set the drag on my fly reel light with salmon and let them hook themselves dropping back into their lie, i don't hold the line. For trout and sea trout i hold line and hit them right away. Just my personal opinion as always. Different fish different situations, the natural stretch in mono has a lot more give as you will know. Interesting thread this, loads of things to mull over. ATB

The replacement for my broken telescopic rod arrived today in the form of a 6' 6" Uglly Stik Lite...This is a four section rod rated at 5gr to15gr...I bought this "blind" online and I have to say although I wasn't expecting the elegance of say a Greys, this really does live up to its Ugly name...

That said it comes across as a functional spinning rod rather than a modern UL fast action lure rod, which is what I wanted.

I have to say I miss the old school fibreglass spinning rods of my youth and while I understand the reasoning behind the various modern lure rods, old school worked just fine with Mepps, devon minnows and Flying "C"'s, and I am sure the Ugly Stik will work also as well as being able be used for light ledgering ect...

This may be a silly qestion to the experienced but will trout take lures or spinners at night ?

Aye mate an usually very well, try some smaller plugs with a gead in em to rattle, or bigger plugs for bigger trout haha
Cheers. I live couple seconds walk away from a lovely bit of chalk stream that's free to fish the trout are wise I see them going to take spinners in the day but I allways seem to lose them straight away as if there not getting hooked properly ? Also what sort of lures and spinners are best for fast shallow gin clear water ? Or is it just stick to the trusty old free line bread and size 6 hook lol Edited by C.green