Trout Fishing: How Much Kit Do You Carry?

When the season opens , I want to try spinning for trout again on some of the small mountain rivers and lakes here in North Wales.

I tried it a couple of years ago, and somehow the amount of kit I used to take seemed to grow and grow...

Just wonder what people typically carry specifically how many lures people take on a typical outing and whether they take the same colour/pattern in more than one size for instance...?

What would be the minimum number of lures you would consider essential to have with you for a few hours at dawn or dusk?

This time I want to keep my kit to a minimum...

Thanks in advance,

Peter

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will put pic on later. I have a greys ultralite 5' 6", great rod, took grilse and salmon on it when out for trout.     That grilse was about 5lb.

The toby lures are next to the small bull head devon minnows, the other ones are the same profile as the large on on the bottom pic. I call the small ones wigglers are they spin round and wiggle in th

I big one is a lure i designed myself,i like playing about making things and trying them out, i made jigs to make them in 6 different sizes, i also make them in a toby style body, alters the action a

I normally use one of these for my ultralight fishing but I've been using a chest mount camera so I've just been sticking half a dozen in a small box in my pocket and leaving some others in the car just in case . And then it's just a case of a small rod and reel and a folding net just in case I hook something a bit bigger .

http://www.gerrysfishing.com/sakura-chest-packerkoa-bag.ir

• Like 1

Thank gents...What mix of sizes are recommended for the Mepps?

Edited to add if people want to post pic of their set-ups along with the reasoning behind their choices, it might make for an informative thread....

Edited by Pete E

I tend to use use the smallest 2 sizes of blue fox (not shitty fox tackle) spinners rather than mepps, no real reason for that other than the shop didn't have mepps . Whatever you do , don't think all spinners are the same . It's not unusual for cheaper spinners not to spin . The main rod I use for ultralight fishing is a Sakura sportism 7ft UL with either a shimano aernos in 2500 size with 5kg yellow power pro or a sienna in 2500 with multicoloured 5kg power pro depth hunter braid . I'll take a pic if you want after the football but this is it with the sienna and multicoloured braid in this vid

https://youtu.be/tWlejdMMNIM

Thanks again gents...I think you guys have confirmed that I am over thinking things and I tend to carry too much...Not that a small bits box with a dozen or so assorted spinners is exactly heavy or bulky, but its really not needed most of the time...

Need to think about a rod, as the tip section of my telescopic snapped, but really that has done me a favour.. I already have a 7ft 10-40grms which I use at the coast, but I have a hankering for the Grey's 2-12grm as its only 5' 6" and would be lovely for streams and small rivers...

DSC_1338_zps0fqddqle.jpg

DSC_1339_zpssoe1h46n.jpg

The toby lures are next to the small bull head devon minnows, the other ones are the same profile as the large on on the bottom pic. I call the small ones wigglers are they spin round and wiggle in the current, i make them out of this stainless and copper. They fish well on the fly rod. I also make the toby lures that size as well. The tiny rapalas are great for trout, i think the rapala is the best lure for trout in clear water, just my personal opinion.

• Like 6

I big one is a lure i designed myself,i like playing about making things and trying them out, i made jigs to make them in 6 different sizes, i also make them in a toby style body, alters the action a little as there is more weight in the middle of the lure. I fish the toby across and slightly down steam, i like enough weight so it goes round on its own rather like fishing a fly, i fish the small lures on the fly rod the same. I have bought toby lures but i like to make my own, i put different amounts of bend in, use ones with more bend in on slower bits of water. You can loose a fair few fish in toby type baits as the fish use the bait as a lever to pull themselves off, you can put 2 rings on hook to help this or you can rig them up with a weak link. I rig spoons and tobys and wigglers up on a weak link a lot of the time and i definetly loose less fish.

flys003.jpg

Weak link rig

Picture033.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture035.jpg

• Like 5