I was out last Tuesday and had the same problem with the frozen kettle so I tried the ray mears split log fire and it worked a treat so,I will be using that next week when I'm out next .......

My mate is pestering to get out up to the mountains for a few days. Now it's bloody cold up there in the Pyrenees at this time of year and hammocking without a decent heat source is not happening. I've used the body length leanto type fire before and it works a treat just can't see it working with a hammock and not being highly fuuckin dangerous ???

How long do it burn for?

10 hours .......
Did you need to use anything other than kindlin down the slices mate, im gonna show kids at some point
Not if the log is dry enough mate ... I cheat slightly by cutting the cross with a chainsaw which means you can leave the bottom quarter uncut so it's easily movable ......

How close to your hammock and tarp do you put an open fire?

I was worried about sparks burning tarp etc so took the frontier

There's very little sparks after an hour or two and five meters away is safe ......

My mate is pestering to get out up to the mountains for a few days. Now it's bloody cold up there in the Pyrenees at this time of year and hammocking without a decent heat source is not happening. I've used the body length leanto type fire before and it works a treat just can't see it working with a hammock and not being highly fuuckin dangerous

You don't need a fire source if you've got decent clothing and sleeping bag you can sleep out to minus 15 quite comfortably ......

• Like 1

Swedish fires are great, dont need kindling just drop a fire lighter down the middle. burn for ages fairly stable, ideal for having around the after barbie party to keep the bugs at bay.

A fire lighter .... how very fukcing dare you ......