I had a fresh fillet of muntie I pan fried it in butter and though tasty enough I found it a bit earthy tasting,I've done plenty of roe fillets this way and have found it much nicer,bye the way this was my first taste of muntjac,I know it's a matter of taste but is this what you expect from muntjac.

Downsview and riohog. Hi geezers. There's few of us on here who I imagine have eaten the whole spectrum. Strangely Munti, to my thinking, has taken the least amount of prep even for those who were a bit concerned about venison in general. It almost sounds like you didn't have anything to accompany it which surely can't be the case. Rio's suggestion is bang on in my opinion although I think it makes the fillet stronger.(only an opinion). I would start a sauce with red onion in olive oil, little of sweet chilli sauce salt and black pepper. Pretty basic stuff really so I apologise. When that is good and ready, take it out and into another pan, turn the heat up full and do your fillet for only a couple of minutes each side. I hope you'll agree that the meat has taken on board the slightly sweet taste from the chilli and therefore no more bitterness. One other little tip, when making the original sauce add a small amount of fruit,pear, Apple etc. Same result. Have a go and let me know how you get on. Also, have a word with Terry d on here. We've been swapping ideas for a while now. Bon Appetite mom ami. Jok.

• Like 2

think it depends on wether its an old warrior or a young beast jok , re fillet shouldnt take much messing with the old saying is best meat is the piece furthest away from the hoof and the horn fillet falls right into that catogory :thumbs:

A few years back I was gifted a pair of frozen munties by someone from Colchester barracks. He also offered me an enormous hare, looked almost the same size of the munties :laugh: , which I declined as I thought it would be as tough as old boots, with the benefit of hindsight blah blah blah :icon_redface:

I made the haunches into pastrami (don't ask, it's a lot of faffing) it turned out very well. The rest of the beasts, bar the 4 fillets, went to venison sausages which were very popular at a mates BBQ.

Cooked the 4 fillets in a hot pan with a knob of melted butter. 2 very distinct flavours, 2 being more towards a beefy taste and 2 towards a more lamb taste, if that makes sense.

I enquired with my contact and explained this and he said they were shot in different areas so food would have been different, which makes sense to me.

Had a couple of mates round for a p1ss up and they absolutely mullared the pastrami, greedy b*stards.

Anyway, haven't got a pic of the pastrami, so here's one of one of the munties taking his coat off.

post-84277-0-22715300-1483978327_thumb.jpg

Mister Gain. To be fair, I've handled quite a few and been called out to a few road incidents. When I looked at the pic I noticed the very purple bruising to the fore quarter and rib cage. When I looked again the rear quarter, not finished, I'll admit, was quite noticeably pinker. My thoughts were immediately vehicle collision. Whenever I've seen this before it's obvious by the diesel img of the muscles which when cut into seem to full of jelly which actually is a haematoma. I'm probably getting out of my depth here but have someone sitting quite close who thinks likewise. As of before this is only a personal observation. Only other comment I could possibly make is that you did the skinning, was there a bullet hole? Jok.

It could well have been roadkill, but I was told by the guy who gave me them that the one in the picture was head shot, and the other one was neck shot. Obviously the neck shot one showed evidence of the shot by way of shattered bone splinters and damaged flesh. All the muntjac in his freezer had heads removed, the hare had clearly succumbed to a head shot. I certainly didn't doubt the guys integrity as although he was wearing shorts and flip-flops the soldiers guarding the gate were showing him great respect.

Yes, I did the skinning, and the meat had no bruising or cracked or broken bones that I recall. (this was in 2005). Would the flash from the camera not have an effect on what the meat looked like in the photo?

• Like 1

C.Green. I kind of thought that start with but I didn't mean anything nasty. Mister Gain says he did the skinning and that'l do for me. Know one thing for sure. Next head/ neck Munti will be getting a good dose of looking at lol.Jok.

When the shooter did the gralloch he went right up through the sternum, and yes it was a rather untidy cut... more of a sawing action methinks :laugh: reckon the knife could have done with a hone.

Whatever it's demise and procedures, it didn't distract from the end products and surely that is what matters.

• Like 1

It's the only thing that matters. Nice little conversation as well. I'll put up the next one when skinned. Jok.

Just an aside... When we arrived inside the gate (bear in mind we had never met, only forum and phone call) he had his young lad with him, would have been about 7 or 8. Only chatted for about 20 minutes and when it was time to leave I told him I'd catch up with him on the forum. He told me it may be a while as they wanted him to 'go and play in the sand'. I enquired 'Iraq' and he just winked. Lost touch with him after, so I hope he was OK.