Im going to give it a go tomorow . Im going to use the cold water maceration technique for getting the flesh off but im a bit worried about all the teeth falling out . Am i going to be fighting a losing battle triyng this for the first time on such a small skull

• 2 weeks later...

good luck mate

cheers , Got all the skin off and a bit of the meat and ive wrapped it in mesh and i have it pegged out by a pile of rubble and wood hoping some beatles eat some of it off . Im planning on putting it on simmer at some point to lose some more of the flesh . Ive seen some people use dermested beatles and they seen perfect but i dont fancy buying and starting a colony off myself so for me its going to have to be part nature and part me getting the skull completely clean

Here's my first attempt of a skull. Not the cleanest looking skull, and lost a couple of little bottom teeth (butter fingers).

shareimage20170116_182009_zpsrjuocdwm.jp

Just left it out for a few months in an onion bag. I'm sure there's better and quicker ways. Lol

Edited by EDDIE B
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

That's fine if it's out the road but it must smell while the maggots are cleaning it ?

If it were a big animal, yea it would stink the place out, but small skull hung from old unused stable, nearly forgot it was there. Lol

I dont know if ive taken enough of the flesh off to start with but this is what i have left out to hopefully rot .

IMAG0301_zps7ol4s4qb.jpg

Just going to hope it works out . Nothing seems to have happened yet . Hopefully some burtsing sun will help in the fututee

• Like 1

I dont know if ive taken enough of the flesh off to start with but this is what i have left out to hopefully rot .

IMAG0301_zps7ol4s4qb.jpg

Just going to hope it works out . Nothing seems to have happened yet . Hopefully some burtsing sun will help in the fututee

It'll work out if your not in any hurry for it lad. Just keep it out of reach of dogs and cats that could bring it off. Boiling etc might be quicker, but these little skulls are quite delicate.

IMAG0301_zps7ol4s4qb.jpg

It'll work out if your not in any hurry for it lad. Just keep it out of reach of dogs and cats that could bring it off. Boiling etc might be quicker, but these little skulls are quite delicate.

ive got the mesh lashed to a breeze block in my pile of rubble so hopefully i cant see it being taken away . I have a plan to get my friends camping stove and take it up my dads in the countryside to simmer for a few hours . Like you said im a bit worried about it all falling apart . I seriously considered getting some of those carrion bettles to clean it but they seemed a lot of effort for one mink skull . Im not even sure where i would look for bettle fanciers to ask to use their beetles for a bit . Maybe down the line i will try and get a colony for them but for the time being im just going to try let nature clean it for me

Did you have to glue any of the teeth back in ?

IMAG0301_zps7ol4s4qb.jpg

ive got the mesh lashed to a breeze block in my pile of rubble so hopefully i cant see it being taken away . I have a plan to get my friends camping stove and take it up my dads in the countryside to simmer for a few hours . Like you said im a bit worried about it all falling apart . I seriously considered getting some of those carrion bettles to clean it but they seemed a lot of effort for one mink skull . Im not even sure where i would look for bettle fanciers to ask to use their beetles for a bit . Maybe down the line i will try and get a colony for them but for the time being im just going to try let nature clean it for me

Did you have to glue any of the teeth back in ?

Yep glued in all the canines, and few small ones at the front.

• 8 months later...

I'll post some pictures of the skull as far as I am with it. It cleaned off lovely. Anything left on it was peeled off with tweezers easy enough. Made a school boy error of leaving it on the kitchen table while I went for a piss and came back to my little dog having it in its mouth. Luckily only 1 puncture hole in the skull and a slight break in the eye socket bit . I took all the teeth out and left it in peroxide for a day or two and it came out whiter than a ginger birds arse.

Now my next dilemma and final part of it is to glue the teeth back in . Problem is working out which teeth go where . Need to test it out to find out which canines go where