Boerboel

I should finally be settled enough to be looking for another mastiff type by the end of this year. Have to say I can't wait, much as I like my bulldogs it's just not been the same without a mastiff about the place.

Boerboels definitely interest me a lot but I'll probably be going for another bandog, ideally a neo dominant type.

Why not go for a Presa Canario? What Bandog would you want?
I might consider a presa if the right litter came up at the right time TBH but I just prefer bandogs personally, never owned a bad one and I seem to click well with their temperament.

As for what type well as I said ideally I'd like one with a good bit of neapolitan in it's make up but the quality of the sire and dam themselves will always be more important than the individual breeds in their make up to me.

Why not go down the Swinford route and use English Mastiff?
Good quality neos are not the easiest of things to find.Good quality English mastiff I would think are pretty much non existent but if you do know of one please let me know where.

So basically what's the point in a Bandog.....

The Boerboel would be better than both to put a Bulldog over.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

??????? really..........I want two then

To shame in what aspect.How quick does a guard dog need to be.A man isn't going to outrun the slowest of mastiffs.

I was told they racists ?

Regarding all mastiffs, I would only have one from decent parents, doing exactly what I wanted from them.

As with most breeds, a lot of shite about, with people breeding for £$£$£ and looks only.

But doesn't that go for all breeds

Yep.

Thing is people limit the chance of getting a good dog to suit their needs just because of breed blindness. They set their hearts on one particular breed and sometimes miss out on better dogs and sometimes nearer home.

What Mastiffs have you got DS?

I love Mastiffs but they don't suit my situation at the mo, but I will have another one or two in the future.

I've got an adult female here that's 3/4neo 1/8corso 1/8something else and I've got a female pup that's 1/2neo 1/4 bordeaux 1/4 something else.Normally I wouldn't be keen on bordeaux blood but the father is half and he's in mine and many other people's opinion the best working banding in the UK.If my home situation hadn't changed in the last year and I still had a bigger yard like I used to have I would definitely have a full neo male.

What do you like about neo's compared with other mastiff breeds? I've never had a mastiff breed but I've always fancied one. From what I've read about neo's over the years a lot of them seem to be overly heavy and unhealthy. Do you still get any old style lines going that are lighter and less exaggerated?

Any idea how the recreated Alano's are doing nowadays? I was interested in Stefan Baumgartner's breeding and training programme a number of years ago.

I should finally be settled enough to be looking for another mastiff type by the end of this year. Have to say I can't wait, much as I like my bulldogs it's just not been the same without a mastiff about the place.

Boerboels definitely interest me a lot but I'll probably be going for another bandog, ideally a neo dominant type.

I might consider a presa if the right litter came up at the right time TBH but I just prefer bandogs personally, never owned a bad one and I seem to click well with their temperament.

As for what type well as I said ideally I'd like one with a good bit of neapolitan in it's make up but the quality of the sire and dam themselves will always be more important than the individual breeds in their make up to me.

Good quality neos are not the easiest of things to find.Good quality English mastiff I would think are pretty much non existent but if you do know of one please let me know where.

I said good quality neos were hard to find but they are about if you know where to look.Maybe the boerboel would be a good cross but I don't know of any whereas the neo cross is tried and tested cross with a temperament and attitude that suits me and my lifestyle so for the time being I'll stick with what I know.

Regarding all mastiffs, I would only have one from decent parents, doing exactly what I wanted from them.

As with most breeds, a lot of shite about, with people breeding for £$£$£ and looks only.

But doesn't that go for all breeds

Yep.

Thing is people limit the chance of getting a good dog to suit their needs just because of breed blindness. They set their hearts on one particular breed and sometimes miss out on better dogs and sometimes nearer home.

What Mastiffs have you got DS?

I love Mastiffs but they don't suit my situation at the mo, but I will have another one or two in the future.

I've got an adult female here that's 3/4neo 1/8corso 1/8something else and I've got a female pup that's 1/2neo 1/4 bordeaux 1/4 something else.Normally I wouldn't be keen on bordeaux blood but the father is half and he's in mine and many other people's opinion the best working banding in the UK.If my home situation hadn't changed in the last year and I still had a bigger yard like I used to have I would definitely have a full neo male.
What do you like about neo's compared with other mastiff breeds? I've never had a mastiff breed but I've always fancied one. From what I've read about neo's over the years a lot of them seem to be overly heavy and unhealthy. Do you still get any old style lines going that are lighter and less exaggerated?

Any idea how the recreated Alano's are doing nowadays? I was interested in Stefan Baumgartner's breeding and training programme a number of years ago.

There are a few breeders about producing decent quality old style neos.One of my pals owns a cracking botch fom pure kc breeding that is a throwback to the older style dogs.I just like their laid back chilled out attitude but even the shitty unhealthy ones still have the mindset to switch on if they perceive a threat to anything the class as theirs.Ive personally witnessed 5 of then Alanos and every one of them needed putting in a hole.
  • Like 1

I said good quality neos were hard to find but they are about if you know where to look.Maybe the boerboel would be a good cross but I don't know of any whereas the neo cross is tried and tested cross with a temperament and attitude that suits me and my lifestyle so for the time being I'll stick with what I know.

The one I saw in Sheffield was a beauty, massive size yet perfect conformation. It was as wide as a bus, lovely dog.

The one I saw in Sheffield was a beauty, massive size yet perfect conformation. It was as wide as a bus, lovely dog.

Neo or boerboel?

Remember about 15 years ago at the Welsh, two lads stood ringside at the back of a truck. Next thing that truck started rockin with sommat inside that was goin off like no dog i've heard. The lads were tryin to calm it down lifting the canvas flap over the cage, i had to see what the feck it was. Got talkin to the lads and asked em what it was, they said to lift the flap and stick me head under. I did, coming face to face with a huge Boerboel and we met eye to eye for a split second before it flipped its lid. I shit my kecks and ducked back out as they went under to calm it down. A scary but stunning thing. Them lads were from the south coast if i remember right.

Thing is, i always feel those dogs should forever remain in Africa, free roaming and guarding huge farmsteads, not stuck in kennels and back gardens on this tiny isle.

My mate , a South African told me a story, it's probably a South African urban legend but here goes

My friends brother was selling his house, nice neighbourhood large garden etc.

He lived there with his girlfriend and boerbel

When house viewers came, the dog was tetchy at first but settled soon after reassurance, one couple came to view the house and the dog was insane, running at the door, wouldn't leave, barking incessantly and making every attempt to kill them through the door.

Such was the dogs behaviour, they wouldn't enter the house and got back in the car and left

The couple were black!!!

Mate of mine has got one a beast of a dog about 5 years old and its starting to suffer with health issues..

A touch of Greyhound blood in most mastiff type dogs would sort a few genetic problems out

true , it deff does , a greyhound is one of the healthiest dogs out there , same as salukis, whippets , all healthy animals , touch of greyhound blood , would help to reduce HD and other health probs in some of these large breeds . :yes:

Neo or boerboel?

Boerboel, never seen an acceptable Neo.

Neo or boerboel?
Boerboel, never seen an acceptable Neo.
They are about its a shame I can't put pics on here

some very interesting comments here, thanks folks.

i have been around a few mastiffs, mates of mine have kept bodeaux, neapolitans and a cane corso over the years, and the only dog of this type which i have ever seen which had any kind of decent conformation or gait was a dane x american bulldog owned by my younger brother, fecking enormous great thing but stunning to look at and good temperament