Brother/sister Cross- Your Thoughts!

How well or not has this worked out for ye? How tightly bred were the siblings in question & how did the next cross from the produce/pups of this mating work out? Due to this cross being so close did you have to go for more of an outcross or could you still keep it relatively tight? The terriers in question are from a very good litter & arent that tightly bred! (The father of them is, the mother not so much)The plan is to then put it all back into our original line again. Have my own thoughts on it but would appreciate hearing some of yours?

Edited by Kaizer Sozĕ
  • Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to study Pit Bull pedigrees 'till I'd be bleary eyed. Pit Bull fanciers in a way breed for what a lot of us in terriers should be breeding for, gameness. In terriers if you breed for gameness

every litter is a risk /chance, if you can afford the risk i'd breed them, if you do keep us posted , i'd like to know how they come out , its the only inbreeding i've never tried, had good results fr

Pluckys dogs are on the dole cause they don't work . There's six wankers on THL and he's five of them

Posted Images

its been done many times ,there is a risk breeding that close .there was an old train of thought it was breed tight and cull hard ,only keeping the best .prblem is its not allways viable to keep a whole litter.to maturaty to see how they perform .

• Like 2

That all boils down to how closely bred the 2 in question are. If there not at all too close to start with shouldn't be no problems but you could see something popping up if there's any problems with eather parents. It be amplified in some of the pups.

• Like 4

If the brother ,sister intended mating is on the grounds both are good sound workers with no physical defects whatsoever and your sure there is no other route to reach your goal, then I'd go ahead based on your intentions to fold back into your line .Was the sire of them closely related to your own stuff mate .I'd rather see father daughter because its worked here many times .The idea of an outcross straight after baffles me though as you would be or possibly might be undoing any traits you bred for in the close mating .Physical defects are the only real reason to prevent any matings as work goes without saying or should .There are many lines based on cousin to cousin ,father daughter but brother sister is not common in my experience due to the fact it doesn't sit well with us being civilised lol.As long as you know where you are headed after and barring any accidents only you know the answer.

• Like 5

Id prefer father x daughter but the sire whos our strain, a very good dog, is unfortunately dead. The plan would then be to fold it back into our line of terrier not outcross. I was asking those that tried this cross does it work well folding it back in or due to its closeness did the next cross have to be further out..

Didn't they used to say you can do father to daughter but not mother to son??

Why not mother to son.

Seemed more defects or culls would happen this way round.
Is there any evidence to back this theory up or is it just hearsay
  • Like 2