Teckles

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's his last boar at almost his 13th birthday.

Never too short on the leg for the hill  

A few recent photos of my two Teckels     The pup, out trapping     A spot of ratting           Out with the Beagles (Bottom right) He was fooked after!  

Posted Images

Very good little dogs, a little too short in the leg for the hill, in the wood they will stick to heal all morning, and happily sit under a high seat, in god awful weather, I like them very hard little dogs, they are deceptive, very capable, they will find anything you put them on, good in the house, and great with kids, a very determined little hunter,

• Like 1

was talking to a bloke boxing day about hunting, told him the type lurcher I kept 1x gsd x grey , and it was good lamping and mooching, as all Alsatians have great nose for finding game. He said he knew of a bloke who had Alsatian type male dog, with drop of collie or something lol in it, that was used as guard dog at his place, but the bloke did stalking and used the dog for that as well . And the dog was very good at the job, it was steady, keep on sent , and had great stamina, well I do know from own dog Buck , that he got very good stamina when fit, and full on temp with his quarry . So it didn't surprise me what the bloke said deff :yes: . I like all working breeds gundogs , teckles , terriers ,running dogs/lurchers , but a well bred gsd are deff more than just pet/guard dogs :yes:

• Like 2

was talking to a bloke boxing day about hunting, told him the type lurcher I kept 1x gsd x grey , and it was good lamping and mooching, as all Alsatians have great nose for finding game. He said he knew of a bloke who had Alsatian type male dog, with drop of collie or something lol in it, that was used as guard dog at his place, but the bloke did stalking and used the dog for that as well . And the dog was very good at the job, it was steady, keep on sent , and had great stamina, well I do know from own dog Buck , that he got very good stamina when fit, and full on temp with his quarry . So it didn't surprise me what the bloke said deff :yes: . I like all working breeds gundogs , teckles , terriers ,running dogs/lurchers , but a well bred gsd are deff more than just pet/guard dogs :yes:

I guess most dogs would track given the time and right training Bird, what I am looking for is small inconspicuous dog thats up for the job. I could have easily opted for a lab, springer cocker or pointer breed, just fancied a smaller breed with a good nose from the right breeder, not looking for an all rounder a one trick pony will do me.......finding shot deer. But I know what ya mean about the shepherd / Alsatian breeds, just not my thing tbh. :thumbs:

I guess most dogs would track given the time and right training Bird, what I am looking for is small inconspicuous dog thats up for the job. I could have easily opted for a lab, springer cocker or pointer breed, just fancied a smaller breed with a good nose from the right breeder, not looking for an all rounder a one trick pony will do me.......finding shot deer. But I know what ya mean about the shepherd / Alsatian breeds, just not my thing tbh. :thumbs:

fair enough mate , yeh prob a teckel or a x bred teckel will be just right for you , funny thing there a couple of them I meet on my dog walks, one a norm size and the other miniature , both are rough coasted . but the big one brill , quite bit to him really , not sure of there size bur he solid bugger. he plays great with my big dog Buck , they have run about in the woods, it a real nice dog . :yes: I think its just a ped dachshund , don't know the difference to a teckel . the bloke said as well you have to be careful when there pups , with there backs , as they do get spine probs if not careful . but I can see why you like one, the big rough coated ones would do the job for you :thumbs: once they calm down , this one was still quite puppy in its way's at 16 months old :yes: .

Never too short on the leg for the hill

DSC_0153_zpsi1ghq6rx.jpg

when I say short in the leg for the hill, mine was, it struggled to keep up bouncing over/ through the heather,everywhere else no real problems, you could even stick her in the game bag, great little dog real character,
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Anybody on here use a teckle for tracking shot deer? Seriously considering getting one, anybodies experiences with them would be gratefully appreciated.

ATB .......Del

Hi mate.

I have owned working teckels for many years (almost 20) and can't think of a better breed for you. Great nose, stubborn trackers, brave, great flushers, "comfortable" sized and incredible house pets.

Yes they lack speed and jumping or springing agility but who needs them for tracking wounded animals?

Try wired hair ones and obviously from working lines (Czec Republic ones or Spanish ones have great working bloodlines). If you find terriers a bit feisty (jagd terriers will be my other choice) a teckel will bring you great times. In almost 20 years I've never lost a wounded animal with them.

I had to put to sleep my old hunting bud last November and there isn't a single day which I don't miss him. That's what teckels have brought me through many years; great hunting companions and, as ridiculous as it may sound to others, true friends.

Cheers!

• Like 6