Getting Started Hunting...suggestions?

How do people get started hunting if they don't know anyone or have family history of hunting?

I started shooting a few years back with a BSA R10, just targets and HFT, then applied for my SGC and started shooting some clays about 18 months ago, what has become quite apparent is i much prefer and am far better at shooting with a rifle than I am with a shotgun, so figure this year i need to either go back to Air or consider going FAC and CF

I don't have land, or permission, and to be honest i'm not sure i have the free time to do having either justice, I work as an EMT for the NHS which does have the advantage of giving me blocks of days off and time off in week days, but no regular days off to commit to a schedule or attend a shooting club or similar (tried that one).

So really i'm wondering on the best way to change my involvement in the sport, learn to hunt (for the sport and food), but not just the kill, also the after side of checking and preparing the animal for the table...

I love watching videos of Foxing and Deer stalking and would love to head in that direction, but where to even start?! Have car, will travel, happy to watch, get dirty, drive, get cold, do courses, training, be mentored, etc, just at this stage don't even know where to start looking, Foxing with a shotgun to get some experience? But then i'd have to get some permission which could lead to my FAC, or go do a beginners stalking course and maybe DSC1?

Don't really know the best direction to take, any advice/suggestions greatly received?

Thanks in advance

Paul

join a casual range that will shoot to 100 yds.this will allow you to zero any rifles ready for a day.next step look into the odd payed day stalking .if a bit of foxing turns up you can add that to conditions at a later date.permision is the key to getting the most out of a firearm but as you say time is tight.

• Like 2

to be honest it's not as hard as you might think, i had no help in any outdoor activities by any of my family as they was all work minded and didn't like fishing, hunting ect so i had to teach myself everything and start from nothing,

the hardest things to do or get is the permission to shoot on, but plenty of door knocking and been presentable will help

also get into a few driven shoots or try and get some beating under your belt if you can

FAC isn't easy!! you need to be in a rifle club for at least 6months or have permission that would grant a certain calibre

if your in a club you can't use your club gun in the field

and you can't use your field gun in the range!!

but air rifle on a small permission is just as affective as a FAC or SGC

deer stalking can be expensive and to be honest i haven't got into deer stalking but fox, rabbit, hares, duck, gesse, pheasant ect is what i shoot on my permissions

good luck with your new adventure

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't formalise your shooting any more than you have to. I have permissions I go to regularly and some I don't go to for weeks/months at a time. You can't do anything shootingwise without some land so that's your first priority. It's nowhere near as hard to get as most people think. Just use your head and your eyes. If you see lots of bunnies, make a point of finding out who owns that land and knock on the door. Don't do the farm/golf course route. Waste of time. That sort of thing will come eventually but not when you're chasing it. The type of permission you get will, to a degree dictate what your next steps are.

Rabbit shooting suits me down to the ground. I like to help people, I like being out in the country, I like shooting and I have five dogs to feed. To that end I started with airguns and progressed from there and am about to put in for a 223 because the farm I shoot wants me to shoot foxes. None of this was a conscious plan of attack. Just go with your flow.

Your first permission might be mainly woodland so maybe pigeon, magpies, crows, squirrel etc which will say airgun to you because you don't want to be shooting even rimfires up into trees.

Good luck and relax. It's more enjoyable that way.

• Like 2

FAC isn't easy!! you need to be in a rifle club for at least 6months or have permission that would grant a certain calibre

if your in a club you can't use your club gun in the field

and you can't use your field gun in the range!!

Nonsense.

If you are a FULL club member and have permission you can shoot anything that is conditioned for vermin in the field and anything that is conditioned for targets on the club range.

You can also use a non target conditioned rifle in a club range for the purposes of zeroing as per the standard wording on every ticket. Not got mine to hand for the exact phrase but it's something along the lines of

Land deemed suitable or for zeroing on approved ranges.

Bottom line, if the rifle falls within the club ranges safety certificate parameters then you can zero it there, if you have full membership and add target as a condition you could throw 500 rounds down it every night at the club and 6 in the field every morning at a few bunnies.

Get out and knock on doors till you get a bit of permission then knock your self out trying to do all thats asked of you but being honest i think your going to struggle just shooting to control all vermin

Why not book a days stalking with a reputable guide, or through the BASC stalking scheme (you need to be a member) you will learn a great deal, have a good day out,possibly shoot a deer, and obtain some superb meat for your freezer (if you wish to retain the carcass) experience gained in such a way is excellent, and will stand you in very good stead, if and when you apply for your own rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

Join a rough shoot for a few hundred quid, join a shooting club that does lamping and pigeon decoying or a target club you'll meet like minded people and it may lead to some sport.

As for FAC I would start with SHotgun (unless it's really not for you) and/or .22 rim fire. A rim fire is much easier to obtain permission for than a centrefire which you will probably need dsc1 and/or mentoring for. Once you've had a rim fire for while and built up evidence of safe use/experience then try a few stalks where you can be guided and lent a rifle (making sure you keep the evidence of such activities for you FLO) and then ask to have your FAC amended for centrefire.

Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Last week I was at a premises in the country that deals with food . Noticed a lot of food waste. Asked if they had a rat problem and they said they had a hell of a problem. They are putting down 40 kilo a month of grain poison and have a pest control firm come in, they need the documentation, and they are still breeding like mad. Said I would come for free and shoot with the night vision an my S410 air rifle. Then the main man turns up and asks if I shoot rabbits. There was a lot of noise from the machinery but I could hear him say he had 3 acres and could provide a quad bike. I said I preferred to walk around, he said that's a lot of walking. I said 3 acres??. He said No, 3 'thousand' acres!!. Mostly arable with some orchards.I asked what I could shoot and he said any thing I liked as long as it was safe and legal. Going to look at it next weekend. So just ask,...it don't cost any thing and they can only say no. It also sounds good if you know what you are talking about. I always say I'm a member of B.A.S.C and tell them that I've got personal and product liability insurance.

• Like 2