Aiming Point Over Distance.

Merry Christmas blokes. Got a catty off the missus over Xmas, a nick hegarty. I have focused on my anchor point consitency lately and reference point on the forks and at about 4 or 5 meters can hit a bull the size of a 50p. Ok so I went out in the car last night and had a few shots. 12mm lead as ammo. One was a woody overhead, missed by a fraction going over the top of his head. Now the crows were a bit further in the tree and as I room a shot both times they dropped just below hitting the branch he was sat on. I shot a lead out to see how it drops and they do drop considerably quick I noticed. What im wondering is how does aiming change beyond my garden shooting, im assuming the further away it is the higher I need to place my reference point? If that makes sense.

Its the same as shooting an air gun...

You will find a reference point for 10 meters is differentto 30 meters

Same as mildots on a scope cross hairs

Youll have to practice at all different ranges set up in 5 meter incriments and write down your reference points.

Remember to keep your anchor point and stance the same everytime too.

FF

Merry Christmas blokes. Got a catty off the missus over Xmas, a nick hegarty. I have focused on my anchor point consitency lately and reference point on the forks and at about 4 or 5 meters can hit a bull the size of a 50p. Ok so I went out in the car last night and had a few shots. 12mm lead as ammo. One was a woody overhead, missed by a fraction going over the top of his head. Now the crows were a bit further in the tree and as I room a shot both times they dropped just below hitting the branch he was sat on. I shot a lead out to see how it drops and they do drop considerably quick I noticed. What im wondering is how does aiming change beyond my garden shooting, im assuming the further away it is the higher I need to place my reference point? If that makes sense.

if you have a large expanse of water near you go along there and start shooting at anything that floats, because on water you can see we're all your misses go, and adjust your shooting to suit, also what bands are you using as 12mm lead takes a bit of moving and will drop pretty rapidly without some meaty bands

Greyman I got double theraband gold on there. I've dropped a few birds with them up close its just over a distance it does drop off quickly.

I must be honest I have a bit of a love hate with 12mm and only use them in my starships these days, the knock down effect is great but the range not so, so I tend to use 10mm leads in my normal catty,s which seem to act much more like steels but with a bit more knockdown effect, I'm also quite happy shooting pigeons and corvids with 9/10 mm steel, But if your confident of getting head shots many just use the steels as they fly much truer and faster, trial and error I,m afraid because what suits me might not suit you, also many people swear by hex nuts for ammo and marbles so by as many small packs until you find what suits you
  • 1 month later...

I've always shot rifles of any kind in a scientific way (so writing down hold overs) but have always been instinctive with a catty and never bothered, just fired a lot of bits of lead and got a feel for things. Not saying that this is the best way to go about things, just my take on it.

I've always shot rifles of any kind in a scientific way (so writing down hold overs) but have always been instinctive with a catty and never bothered, just fired a lot of bits of lead and got a feel for things. Not saying that this is the best way to go about things, just my take on it.

I have a mate I fish And shoot catty,s with he can't aim for shit were as I am a bit of an aimer,we are like chalk and cheese but on the whole he is just as successful as me and hits the target with as much regularity as anyone, he can't tell you how he does it and his forks are horrible to me, but he can't stand mine either, and struggles to even hold it, so you just have to accept that we are all different, and what works for you may not work for others but as long as your enjoying yourself, it's a winner
  • Like 1