As Neil said cold don't bother Charlie to much.Seen hounds find them on top in some of our coldest winters.Persistent wet seems to get them to ground more as said. Saying that seen them put up on the tops in the worst of weather .I think sometimes this time of year when you get 2 or 3 in it is the vixen getting out of the dogs way and they end up in with her.

• Like 2

When it comes to the fox there's no rules.

In hard weather they can find the warmest, driest bed under a furze and yet I've seen them to ground in mid Summer when the Suns splitting the stones.

I think they go in to escape the heat. They'll often just lie 3 or 4 foot inside the entrance.

They'll sleep in snow too and let's face it we've all seen them out hunting mid day all year round.

They're also heavy sleepers above ground too. Twice I've had terriers nail them on sunny banks as they'd be curled up asleep in the sun.

I also know of two lads out shooting who've walked straight up to sleeping foxes, one lad killed his fox, one didn't.

The one who missed was an uncle of mine who missed the fox at point blank range with a .22.

• Like 5

When it comes to the fox there's no rule's!Sums it up totally.Think that is why they are so successful . From city to desert,fell to coast they thrive thank god!

Back to -3.Seen some days in the harshest of weather where earths,rockpiles,cundys and the best sheltered places blank. Foxes all on top taking a pounding off weather! Or so it seems. It don't seem to hurt or bother them much. Theres no rules that's why hunting them with hounds used to be so much fun.Seems only like yesterday I heard them hounds in full cry.

p.s might have been Wednesday.

• Like 1

When it comes to the fox there's no rules.

In hard weather they can find the warmest, driest bed under a furze and yet I've seen them to ground in mid Summer when the Suns splitting the stones.

I think they go in to escape the heat. They'll often just lie 3 or 4 foot inside the entrance.

They'll sleep in snow too and let's face it we've all seen them out hunting mid day all year round.

They're also heavy sleepers above ground too. Twice I've had terriers nail them on sunny banks as they'd be curled up asleep in the sun.

I also know of two lads out shooting who've walked straight up to sleeping foxes, one lad killed his fox, one didn't.

The one who missed was an uncle of mine who missed the fox at point blank range with a .22.

had that happen too, Sen some laying just outside the hole, fire a shot in the air and they drop straight in, skipping and dancing the rest of the way over to the earth, the terrier wasn't bad either lol
  • Like 1