Labs ?

bird

I see few labs on my dog walks , most are just fat show type.But see couple from working lines, which were spot on not over heavy and full of life, just like some of the labs I seen years ago when beating, that's picking up and beating , great dogs . when I spoke to my vet couple months ago, who very good vet proper country type knows the in/outs of hunting, said that even the working lines get HD and some of the temps could be bit better, even though said by choice would have a working line lab , than show bred one . just wondered if they were ? I know all labs can suffer with HD , but wasn't sure about temps, the ones seen on the shoots , were good temps fit/ and not over heavy and good stamina go all day .

Definitely get one from a working strain. There is a growing gap between pet and show labs , traditional working labs and Trialling labs. I think temprament is more to do with rearing , training and environment.

Most people look to see if the parents are fully health tested before buying a pup. It's not a guarantee but helps.

Reckon the key with labs is not to over work / run them when they are too young and manage their food intake .

If I was looking for a pup , I would want both parents to do regular work , be Sound around guns and have a good double coat. Doesn't really matter if it's birds , deer , wildfowling or marking / bushing but the parents must work .

post-76132-0-99042300-1483089485_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some of the trailing labs iv seen are gangly weaked legged things my neighbour got two bitches from trailing dogs and they look like they have something else in them. Iv never seen a decent looking chocolate lab they have all been big heavy fat dogs but as for temperament the chocolates are daft as a brush.

Some of the trailing labs iv seen are gangly weaked legged things my neighbour got two bitches from trailing dogs and they look like they have something else in them. Iv never seen a decent looking chocolate lab they have all been big heavy fat dogs but as for temperament the chocolates are daft as a brush.

true on the chocolate labs, they do seem big fat daft things . as said the labs I seen in the 80s were fit strong dogs, but not as big boned as the show labs that ive seen today .

• 2 weeks later...

The risk with any purebreed dog is inherited problems. I have a working lab, and he had FTCH in his blood line and great hip scoring parents, but he has HD and elbow displacia and he's only 2! So don't let the "working" line fool you into thinking that they are free from problems. Like I said, any pure breed dog comes with them - working or show.

• Like 1