Wildfowling Beginner

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks..   Just wondering I've found 2 ponds ( one is very very small but I've seen 20 teal come out of it) the other is a is small but holds decent numbers of ducks around 30 ish.. now just wond

Go for it mate

That is not what I expected to hear. Young person.. You need a dog. Forgive me but it appears you have a lot more to learn. I hope we on here can help you and at this moment you certainly need to ask.

That's not a pond though is it . It's just a flooding I've had better flights on these . That's ideal for flighting . Put feed around the edge for the mallard and teal throw a few hand fulls in the 6/9 inch parts for wigeon etc . Get a dog in for next season and your laughing .

Cheers lads

it's some sort of flood but there's a stream when flooded makes this flood/pond a good bit bigger, I put the rolled barley into the shallows, HPR I've a ton of spud peelings etc would ducks like that? Anything else I can put in?

Edited by zFall
  • Like 1

Hi all

Just after coming down from checking the pond, yesterday I put in around 3/4 of a bucket was a bit low on the barley.. and all of it was gone!! When I went I spooked around 40 ducks, teal etc.. I shot one mallard ( he was in the stream beside the pond) could have got more.. I'll be away for awhile but when I'm Going to put more feed into the lake when I'm back a bucket and loads of rotten spuds etc..
for the end of the season I plan on staying waiting for the ducks to come.. is there any conditions weather wise which is good to shot at night? Full moon etc
just a question how many ducks would be coming in to eat 3/4 of bucket in a night!!!
Wont be shooting on the lake for a week or more just going there to feed etc!

just a thought, today when I went I did see a good lot of mallard, the times i went down shooting it was mostly female mallard and teal.

Thanks all

Edited by zFall

The only way to see how many are there is by watching them . When you spooked them was it dark ? . Best weather wet and windy . If I was you I'd shot it at the weekend then again at end of season . Should have two good flights .

Cheers hpr,

It was actually around 9:30 not dark at all.. Was wet day alright. I'm going to feed it during the week barley etc.

Just a question hpr When do you think i should shoot the pond? before the season closes?

Thanks all

Edited by zFall

I have four spots so rotate them obviously every four week . I know a few people who have a splash or pond and shoot once every two week . There isn't no such rule . We went to one of ours the other week we ended up with 18 duck . Between two of us . We could of stayed and carried on but called it a day . We both had some decent shooting so let the rest live for another day .

I wouldn't go to early 20 mins before . If I was you I'd go up with no gun stay out the way enough so you can see pond but they can't see you . And have a look at what time there coming in and where there coming from . Then it will give you a rough time and a guide to where to stand .