Wildfowling Beginner

Haha, it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy Z....I would keep feeding this week and shoot next weekend, doesn't sound like you disturbed too many lol...as a rule they don't 'quack' (although if it Quacks I shoot it lol).....get yourself a call and learn the feeding calls etc.....teal are easy to call, mallard feeding call...look on YouTube ...

I'm up north in a week or so chasing woodcock and teal...will put some pics up...

Keep at it...you will crack it.

Cheers bell,

lol true I didn't disturb much at all!, I've been practising my calls, feeding chuckles, the normal quacks, and there alright on my ACME caller.. when should I use the caller ?

Thanks.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks..   Just wondering I've found 2 ponds ( one is very very small but I've seen 20 teal come out of it) the other is a is small but holds decent numbers of ducks around 30 ish.. now just wond

Go for it mate

That is not what I expected to hear. Young person.. You need a dog. Forgive me but it appears you have a lot more to learn. I hope we on here can help you and at this moment you certainly need to ask.

Haha, it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy Z....I would keep feeding this week and shoot next weekend, doesn't sound like you disturbed too many lol...as a rule they don't 'quack' (although if it Quacks I shoot it lol).....get yourself a call and learn the feeding calls etc.....teal are easy to call, mallard feeding call...look on YouTube ...

I'm up north in a week or so chasing woodcock and teal...will put some pics up...

Cheers bell,

lol true I didn't disturb much at all!, I've been practising my calls, feeding chuckles, the normal quacks, and there alright on my ACME caller.. when should I use the caller ?

Thanks.

If I'm honest I think on an inland splash if there are ducks buzzing over your head then they are intent on coming in for the feed that you have put out and using a caller is probably not necessary ( but it adds to the occasion !!).... I think they will either come in or not.....bit like putting a few deeks out.....its part of the ceremony ....are they necessary ?..... probably not lol..although I have had plenty of conversations with mallard chattering away whilst circling round before committing ...

Keep at and learn mate.....

Cheers bell,

Thanks.

If I'm honest I think on an inland splash if there are ducks buzzing over your head then they are intent on coming in for the feed that you have put out and using a caller is probably not necessary ( but it adds to the occasion !!).... I think they will either come in or not.....bit like putting a few deeks out.....its part of the ceremony ....are they necessary ?..... probably not lol..although I have had plenty of conversations with mallard chattering away whilst circling round before committing ...

Keep at and learn mate.....

Thanks bell,

Was very hard though I only had one decent chance of a shot ( 2 ducks come over head of me but I didn't shot haha..) they circled around me and then landed away from me where should I be standing? The day was very still no wind so say if I went on a windy day would they come straight into the wind? Also maybe because the conditions weren't perfect maybe ( wet and windy) there wasn't as many ducks coming in?

Thanks all.

If it windy then the birds will come into the pond with the wind into their faces, so you should know which side they will be coming from. Other than that if you stand in the middle (not the pond obviously)' you give yourself half a chance. Wet and wind won't put duck off mate......sometimes they find bettter feeding elsewhere......just keep feeding regular and you will get there.....

If it windy then the birds will come into the pond with the wind into their faces, so you should know which side they will be coming from. Other than that if you stand in the middle (not the pond obviously)' you give yourself half a chance. Wet and wind won't put duck off mate......sometimes they find bettter feeding elsewhere......just keep feeding regular and you will get there.....

Cheers bell

Will have a go next will still feed it.. hopefully it'll be good conditions next week will post an update on how it goes!

Hi lads

Couldn't shoot today, will go tomorrow.. got a camo net 9ft by 4ft to try.. will put out some decoys and use the caller and see how it goes! Will update tomorrow

I put in some feed seen ducks coming off another pond but not the pond Im feeding!

Keep at it Z..... keep us updated and the are some pics....

Will do bell, just wondering what dog do you use for ducks and other game birds? What would you say is an all rounder dog for ducks, pigeons, and pheasants? Got offered a Pup from bitch whose grandparents are FTCH for free, there cockers spaniels!

All about preferences mate, I have a spaniel but I rough shoot mainly and need a dog that works cover (although some labs will......but not as well as a spaniel !)......if you want a dog to pick ducks off a pond or pigeons from a hide or pheasants from a peg then probably a lab fits the bill.....but I'm a spaniel kind of fella......

All about preferences mate, I have a spaniel but I rough shoot mainly and need a dog that works cover (although some labs will......but not as well as a spaniel !)......if you want a dog to pick ducks off a pond or pigeons from a hide or pheasants from a peg then probably a lab fits the bill.....but I'm a spaniel kind of fella......

Cheers bell

Shot one widgeon the first I've ever seen on that pond other than that it was disappointing not much duck about, the caller was handy I got a few in but they weren't good shots if you get me, one week left I think it should be good, didn't see much duck at all 9!

Bell just wondering have you ever had a cocker spaniel?