Wildfowling Beginner

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks..   Just wondering I've found 2 ponds ( one is very very small but I've seen 20 teal come out of it) the other is a is small but holds decent numbers of ducks around 30 ish.. now just wond

Go for it mate

That is not what I expected to hear. Young person.. You need a dog. Forgive me but it appears you have a lot more to learn. I hope we on here can help you and at this moment you certainly need to ask.

you seem to know all the answers too your own questions rotten potato and too many to mention you are playing game with us but I can see through you your a experienced shooter that is what i'am saying bud

Cheers for the compliment i suppose!

Have been shooting with rifles for a good few years.. have shot rabbits right beside this pond too! But just got a shotgun this September so I guess I'm kind of inexperienced with shotguns in general. Feeding the pond tomorrow, Then again saterday, 2 times a week.. will be shooting 2 times before the season closes!

Cheers hpr should I shoot it this week ? Then the last week of the season? Will feed it tomorrow and Saturday morning. Then shoot it Saturday evening ? Will put some pictures up if all goes well. It was snowing today so it's bloody freezing!!!

Cheers all.

Go for it mate

Cheers hpr

Went to feed it today no ducks though wierd the pond was frozen but the ice is supposed to go but it could be frozen in the morning, I fed it with a bucket of barley, scraps etc broke up the ice around the feed, no more snow just raining now.. still a good idea do you think hpr?

Will have a go tomorrow night if all goes well!! Be there around 30 mins before dusk

Let us know how you get on. I shot a frozen splash a few years ago, the duck still,came.....recall dropping a wigeon that slid 30'yards along the ice....

Hey all

Going to feed the pond soon.. there was bird flu confirmed about 20 miles from me.. just a question is there any tail tale signs of bird flu on a duck? Just to be sure incase I shot one! Also it was a wild duck that had bird flu!!

Edit: just came back from feeding around 12 seen nothing come off the pond but all my feed was gone again! Cold but a clear day hopefully some nice shooting tonight.. just another question I've herd that you should always leave the tail end of the flight to come into the pond.. is that correct? I will be shooting for half or so in to dark

Edited by zFall

Well what a day... middlen now to be honest mostly my fault.. started out in a spot where the wind was behind me ( hardly any wind at all) arrived at 5pm no ducks there at all.. seen a pesky fox he might want a rifle bullet I've seen that same fox for years!! So at 5:30 the first pair of ducks came in and they came in on the left side of me really fast and I left them in the pond so they might make the ducks come in nicely if you get me, then a pair of 2 ducks came In right ahead of me didn't get a shot off.. then a pair of 4 came in shot but missed my fault, then from their on the came all in 2 pairs I didn't get another shot off, my feed was still there.. I seen around a total of 20 ducks and I left at 6pm too early I think I could have shot but it was dark and there was no full moon yesterday there was!! So just one shot off bad performance from me and a wrong position was the fault, all the ducks that came in were teal small ducks no mallards which is a wonder.. a bad start only one shot off.. it would be my first ever time out shooting at night ( other than lamping) still makes me wonder I thought there would be more ducks coming in, a bucket gone in a night so there must be a good few coming in.. frustrating but a lesson learnt.. also the wind must of changed as the ducks were circling behind me then landing a good bit away from me and I didn't want to injure a duck.. very strange day, also it was hard to here them, I couldn't here them from far all I could here where there wings, no quacks or anything, so went I did see them they were just landing in the water, when should I shoot again do you think?

Edited by zFall

Haha, it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy Z....I would keep feeding this week and shoot next weekend, doesn't sound like you disturbed too many lol...as a rule they don't 'quack' (although if it Quacks I shoot it lol).....get yourself a call and learn the feeding calls etc.....teal are easy to call, mallard feeding call...look on YouTube ...

I'm up north in a week or so chasing woodcock and teal...will put some pics up...

Keep at it...you will crack it.