Wildfowling Beginner

Hi folks..

Just wondering I've found 2 ponds ( one is very very small but I've seen 20 teal come out of it) the other is a is small but holds decent numbers of ducks around 30 ish.. now just wondering how should I approach these ponds? Normally I just stalk up to them but it doesn't work out to well, the large pond is open and they normally see you before you're near enough to get a shot in..I'm starting to feed the ponds to get more ducks in.. a bucket of barley and some scraps, should I set out some decoys and wait for them to come in? Just started duck shooting so forgive me for my lack of education when it comes to Wildfowling!! Using semi auto for my wildfowling.

Also I'm the only shooter that is hunting on these ponds so I've it all to myself !!

• Like 2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks..   Just wondering I've found 2 ponds ( one is very very small but I've seen 20 teal come out of it) the other is a is small but holds decent numbers of ducks around 30 ish.. now just wond

Go for it mate

That is not what I expected to hear. Young person.. You need a dog. Forgive me but it appears you have a lot more to learn. I hope we on here can help you and at this moment you certainly need to ask.

Feed it up . Get there as it's getting dark try sitting with the wind hitting your back . If you can put a hide up then get one up . If you can't then either lay down or kneel . I'm not allowed to put a hide on my splash so kneel . Aslong as you stay really still should be ok . Any movement to early they'll see it . If you've already got a few feeding on it then you should have a good few days before end of season . Good luck let us know how you get on . Get some pics up of the ponds maybe people with a lot more experience could give you some pointers . Quite new to it my self .

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply,

I'll get a picture up but it's actually low enough and is small but the duck are there going to feed it tomorrow with barley and scraps tomorrow evening!

Also I'll be shooting it I'd say maybe once every week and I'm the only one shooting.. is that overshooting it? Will get pics of the bigger lake tomorrow

I normally go once every two week . Or by what the weathers doing . If you going tomorrow evening go at half 4 wait around and have a count in see what's coming in . Stand back from the pond though because you don't want to desturb them once there on . But of wind and rains always a good night to go . As I say I'm no pro but these things have been working for me .

• Like 1

Cheers

Just a stupid question I normally go there at 4 when I'm there normally all I see around 30 birds mallards etc at 4pm, I go around to the other ponds and leave then 4:30 or later.. just wondering would more birds be coming in later in evening ? Bringing a big bucket full of barley and other scraps !! Probably a very stupid question but I've only hunted for ducks a handful of times!

Cheers.

Cheers

Just a stupid question I normally go there at 4 when I'm there normally all I see around 30 birds mallards etc at 4pm, I go around to the other ponds and leave then 4:30 or later.. just wondering would more birds be coming in later in evening ? Bringing a big bucket full of barley and other scraps !! Probably a very stupid question but I've only hunted for ducks a handful of times!

No such thing as a stupid question, we all have to learn. I'd say there will almost certainly be more ducks coming in later. Ducks feed and move around through the night and often when I finish up shooting and leave because its just too dark to see, there are still ducks coming in to the pool. Feed the shallows around the pond as late in the day as possible to minimise the risk of other creatures getting a free meal (mallard and teal - your main inland quarry species are dabblers not divers so there's no point throwing food into the middle) and shoot maybe once a fortnight as ducks don't like too much disturbance. Any other questions then feel free to ask, there'll always be someone who knows the answer.

Best of luck

• Like 1

Unfortunately don't have a dog getting one early February for next season the pond is very shallow and it's not big so I don't really need a dog.

Cheers for the replys

Edited by zFall

That is not what I expected to hear. Young person.. You need a dog. Forgive me but it appears you have a lot more to learn. I hope we on here can help you and at this moment you certainly need to ask. I do however wish you a happy learning curve. Jok.

• Like 2

I don't get what you mean ? Did I post something inappropriate or what? Frankly I've only started shooting recently and now you're saying "I hope our moderators think likewise and have a little look at you" am I off my rockers?!?!

Instead of saying that why don't you give me advice what a forum should be used for. I've been on many forums but I don't get what you're saying maybe saying that a dog isn't needed is not the correct thing to say on my point, but you could have atleast told me why as I've said I've only been shooting for a short while and I'm only posting and asking to gain more information and gather more on my experience. I'm sure you had questions etc when you were starting up wildfowling or just shooting in general I've no one to ask so hence why putting up questions. Just to tell you the ponds wouldn't 50ft length and wouldn't be 20ft wide, the other ponds are very small like a tiny flood. I've shot a few birds and everyone I got too, the ground itself is an open land normally when you shot the birds you can get them fairly handy

I'm sorry for offending you.

Edited by zFall

Good on you son. Just what I'd have said many years ago. However, in them days we didn't have television never mind forums. Stick to your guns lad but by heck take a little advice,, get one of them dog things that can smell in the dark, see in the dark and are fairly promising when it comes to retrieving in the dark. You'll do ok. Fair play to you. Jok. And by the way, I'm reasonably hard to offend. ATB?

• Like 1

In fact. What you say doesn't ring true. Frankly, I think you are exactly what you are and I don't like it. I hope our moderators think likewise and have a little look at you. Jok.

What's this supposed to mean ?.....