Whats gone wrong?

jultaylor1972

Ive been making my first long net. Its going to be 25 yards so Im knitting 50 yards for the extra bag. Im only just past the 6th yard and it seems to have gone pear shaped!! Im gutted to be honest :cry: I was really chuffed with it until tonight. I'll try and explain ~ the first three meshes every two lines seem to be below the rest of the meshes? The fist pic shows what it was like before tonight and the second pic shows what its like now. What can I do? Is it fixable? Should I just start again? Its only my first net and I could buy them easy enough but Im determined to make my own ~ even if its just to say "I made that myself" Any help will be most appreciated. :yes:

post-4050-1197413289_thumb.jpg

post-4050-1197413302_thumb.jpg

Two things could have happened to the net of the top of my head.

The first is you have let knots slip.

The second and most likely cause is the mesh board you are using is crap. If it is not total straight / even the meshes on one side of the mesh board can be slightly larger than the rest. As the net becomes longer the uneven meshes become more noticable.

Solution. New mesh board or straighten up the one you have.

Or when you tie each knot tie it at the same location on the mesh board or turn the mesh board around to attempt to staight the net again.

Best bet is knit from the end that is staight with a new straight mesh board of the same size of cause.

Hope some of this makes sense.

or cut off what is wrong and continue with the new mesh board.

regards Roger.

Edited by R_Oldroyd

Hi JT....it doesn,t sound like you,re slipping knots to me but rather you,re suffering from a case of "exageration" :whistling: Which is something of a beginners curse. I suspect that you may still be working the rows of net from your original starting string...in other words you,re standing 6 yards back from whatever the net is secured against. I would rcommend that you thread another line five or six rows up from the last row of meshes and carry on only working a yard or so from that line at a time. This should help in ninety six different ways... but I can only think of three at the mo!!!... !] It should reduce the amount of exageration of those end meshes...2] it will help reduce fatigue in the hand that holds the board...3] you should notice immeadiately that you feel a more positive bite up of the knots.

Well done for trying and keep at it..

Regards Mapreader

Ive been making my first long net. Its going to be 25 yards so Im knitting 50 yards for the extra bag. Im only just past the 6th yard and it seems to have gone pear shaped!! Im gutted to be honest :cry: I was really chuffed with it until tonight. I'll try and explain ~ the first three meshes every two lines seem to be below the rest of the meshes? The fist pic shows what it was like before tonight and the second pic shows what its like now. What can I do? Is it fixable? Should I just start again? Its only my first net and I could buy them easy enough but Im determined to make my own ~ even if its just to say "I made that myself" Any help will be most appreciated. :yes:

Have you got a noose or slip knot round your net to hold it? If you have, every time that you move it, put a finger in every mesh so they're pulled level, and don't start knitting till they are. The knots look fine from the pictures, as if they were slippy, the tops wouldn't lie together like that. Once you have that sorted, next time you start from the bad side, make an effort to keep your board at right angles to the net, knit the three bad mesh, then keeping your board level add a little to the other meshes so you are back to square. That will level things up. Good luck and well done so far. :thumbs:

Mapreader has a good point about if you are still knitting of the ring. I never start knitting from a ring because this will throw it but at six yards or so the ring wouldn't affect the net so much.

Mapreader is right about working on only about a yard of the net or so. Put the rest of the net in a box and forget about it and concentate on the next yard or so.

People give up on making long nets because they are more intrested on how much they have made or haven't amde. Just think about making the next yard of net right and continue from there. :notworthy:

Ianrob is also right about at the end of kmitting a row straighting up every on the mesh board before starting a new row.

Keep on trucking

Top tip I put the net i am work on through a coffee table. Put the tail of the net under your backside and the remainder in the box. Then as the net get longer slip the excess under your arse and the remainder in the box. This dispenses with have to dick around with threading the net onto pieces of string and means you can adjust you postition when making the net so you don't get back pain.

Edited by R_Oldroyd
:notworthy: Thanks for all the replys guys!! :victory: Ive got a yards worth of net coming from the top of the jammed shut door - the rest is trailing in a bag behind the door. Its a very tight fit and it doesnt move at all whilst Im knitting. Im going to re thread my needle and try again following peoples advice. :D
  • 2 weeks later...

jultaylor,

It looks as if you need to put a bit of preservative and protection on your ferret box, I would suggest a polyeuathane stained varnish.

Jamming your made net between the closed door and the door frame is not good enough to keep your meshes level. This is why your meshes have run out. Do what the other netters have said and take about 3ft of 2mm nylon drawcord and thread it through your meshes about 18" away from where you have finished tie both ends together hang over a hook or as I do, the newel post at the bottom of the stairs. Start to net and if your meshes are not level adjust by doing some tight and some loose untill they all become level. If it takes several rows it does not matter as you have got a long way to go yet!!!. When the meshes are level cut off the 2mm nylon drawcord. Now take another piece of 3ft drawcord tie both ends together so that it is a complete circle. Now pull your made net tight about 2-3ft from where you have finished, take the loop of nylon cord pass it around the net UNDER a row of knots,

put one end of the loop through the other end and pull tight. This will hold the net level, put the loose end of the loop on your hook or newel post and carry on netting.When you have put another 2 ft or so on your net move the nylon cord down the net. repeat as you go along.

I hope this helps you out.

alan. I think the best characteristic a human can have is determination good on you

jultaylor,

It looks as if you need to put a bit of preservative and protection on your ferret box, I would suggest a polyeuathane stained varnish.

Jamming your made net between the closed door and the door frame is not good enough to keep your meshes level. This is why your meshes have run out. Do what the other netters have said and take about 3ft of 2mm nylon drawcord and thread it through your meshes about 18" away from where you have finished tie both ends together hang over a hook or as I do, the newel post at the bottom of the stairs. Start to net and if your meshes are not level adjust by doing some tight and some loose untill they all become level. If it takes several rows it does not matter as you have got a long way to go yet!!!. When the meshes are level cut off the 2mm nylon drawcord. Now take another piece of 3ft drawcord tie both ends together so that it is a complete circle. Now pull your made net tight about 2-3ft from where you have finished, take the loop of nylon cord pass it around the net UNDER a row of knots,

put one end of the loop through the other end and pull tight. This will hold the net level, put the loose end of the loop on your hook or newel post and carry on netting.When you have put another 2 ft or so on your net move the nylon cord down the net. repeat as you go along.

I hope this helps you out.

alan. I think the best characteristic a human can have is determination good on you

Thanks very much for that advice! :yes::D Ive managed to sort the rows out and it took a good few before it was OK. I do quite a bit of the net at work and its a bit difficult finding a good spot to knit it, just the other night though I discovered a great place under the desk to attatch it to and its very easily adjusted too - when Im back at work I'll take a pic to show you. Jules. :)

Just a quick update on my net; Its so much better now, I was doing a few things wrong one of which was jamming the net at the top of the door - this didnt give me the right tension, Ive since been threading some draw cord through the last yard and working a yard at a time and the result is amazing!! Ive taken some pics but since Im at work I cant post them until tomorrow :no: But they are coming! Thank you to all who are helping me on my quest to make my first longnet :yes: Im sure I'll be back asking even more questions soon! :laugh: