Advice On Dogs Leg

At the end of september I think it was my dog run flat out into a ditch I started a thread about it anyway hes leg swelled up around the knuckle couldn't walk or straighten it took him to the vet he said maybe a small fracture probably a bad sprain a weeks painkillers see how he goes well the swelling went down and after awhile he seemed to be ok I haven't run him just plenty of walks and the odd short run the busher put up for him all seemed fine then last nigh I walk the dogs down to the river about a ten minute walk and they chase something in the dark across a nearby field a can hear the big dog thundering across and all the time I'm wondering if he's leg will be ok after about a minute and a half he comes back all seems fine then I check him this morning and his leg is swollen he can't put it down or straighten it not sure of its tight from before or if it was a fracture that has opened up again anyone have any ideas I'm gutted to say the least

Takes only a few moments ta X-ray these days it's about a hundred quid results can be given immediately and even be sent over by phone,the vet can not diagnose a break or fracture without it being very obvious sounds like a cowboy vet lots a them about these days get him seen to and then one knows what recoveryneeds to be taken .atb bunnys

Takes only a few moments ta X-ray these days it's about a hundred quid results can be given immediately and even be sent over by phone,the vet can not diagnose a break or fracture without it being very obvious sounds like a cowboy vet lots a them about these days get him seen to and then one knows what recoveryneeds to be taken .atb bunnys

if one short of coin take the route six weeks plus another six gentle lead walking.atb bunnys.

if one short of coin take the route six weeks plus another six gentle lead walking.atb bunnys.

The vet pulled his leg around felt it and seemed to be alright so he said its possible it was a small fracture but probably a bad sprain so he was rested and lead walked had a couple of set backs but nothing bad and I haven't lamped him atall he seemed to be ok then he's run the other night and he's leg swelled up and couldn't put any weight on it he's now nearly normal again no swelling and just a slight limp so Im not sure what's going on

A bad sprain can take months to heal. If it were my dog I'd be lead walking it, no running at all, for at least 4 weeks. Daily cold packs on swollen area, or standing dog in stream or bucket of cold water (just the one leg in the bucket for 10 minutes twice a day) And re-assess in a month's time.

I once had to keep a dog on the lead for 6 months; he was only young and it was a nightmare, but he came right. Get the dog to a really good bone man who understands ligament damage, and follow their advice to the letter.

• Like 2

A bad sprain can take months to heal. If it were my dog I'd be lead walking it, no running at all, for at least 4 weeks. Daily cold packs on swollen area, or standing dog in stream or bucket of cold water (just the one leg in the bucket for 10 minutes twice a day) And re-assess in a month's time.

I once had to keep a dog on the lead for 6 months; he was only young and it was a nightmare, but he came right. Get the dog to a really good bone man who understands ligament damage, and follow their advice to the letter.

good advice :thumbs:

Thanks for all the advice I did lead walk and no running for about 5 weeks when it first happend and it's been a few month and I thought he was over it then one accidental run and it flared up again I have been given a number by someone of here but I can't get hold of them yet but hopefully they can help

Well i took my dog to see a greyhound man an turns out he has more injuries than the one i thought i gave my dog 6weeks off and eased him back in steady few rabs anyway long story short grwyhound man said lay dog off til next year an even then might not be right he wreckons hes run into something an torn his shoulder a common injurie that would retire a greyhound dog was turning into.a.gooden on the lamp to see what next season brings after a good rest... what i was getting at is sometimes you just have to forget the hunting with your dog an let it heal longer the better

Edited by peng