Good Stalk ...

Out this morning on the doe's , weather had that damp feeling about it with just enough breeze to determine which way I could work around the estate . Parking in the top car park we worked down the hill keeping tight to the hedge on my left , looking out on almost parkland to my right with the odd clump of mature trees and in the valley bottom a two or three acre patch of scrub with rhododendrons , marsh grass and even a clump of bamboo .This patch is always worth a good look and non more than now because the owners have had a clear out and tidy up , forming a pond and levelling some of the ground ..It's never easy to get close enough for a shot but with the clearing you can at least see better and if you can get in to a little clump of trees you are in with a chance .A lone fawn was glassed coming out the patch , she was joined fairly quickly by a couple of doe's and another fawn working slowly along the bottom tree line Every time they went out of view I crawled forward and down to the clump of trees , twenty minutes later , with very sore knees I was in the cover ..The only clear chance of a shot would be if I could stop them between two big trees before they made the marshy field right at the bottom of the valley ..I was set up and waiting for them to appear , 165m slightly left and below me , the two fawns emerged first , side by side then a doe , a shout stopped them and at almost the same time the doe jumped forward to the shot and took of into the marsh field along with the other three , the field then erupted with another bunch of about twelve unseen until then ..In the mayhem I lost sight of the doe , twenty minutes later we set out to find her , sure of were the strike was and confident that it was well placed the dog was soon on the case , a forty yard arch from the strike it was found dead .Half a mile back up hill for the quad and gralloching tools we were on our way home ten minutes later ..In the chiller at 59lb ..

The dog now three is a pleasure to take out ..post-81636-0-50164500-1481569372_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I'll bet the twenty minute wait doesn't seem that long with company like that either. Also very reassuring knowing you've got the follow up covered and a chance of another in the meantime. This time next year maybe I'll be allowed a dog...

Spot on there Matt, even when your sure everything went to plan its reassuring to have her there ..even then that twenty minutes seems like an hour ..

• Like 1

Nice one Rich, she has settled down nicely now, all you gotta do is teach the dog to use the rifle and you won't be needed !

She will always need me .....who's going to drive her there and bring the game home ..

Just messing, I have seen how much that dog adores you and she would be lost without you., but I do think she could probably drive !

• 1 month later...