My Hw77K Review And Future Plans

Cheers pesky wabbit, I hope others can learn from my thread, it's been a challenge and I have learnt so much about my gun from the process. I'm glad I attempted the job myself and even though I made errors I tried to document it so other can learn. The one thing I have appreciated is the input from fellow shooters/tuners. You guys have been a great help

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all,   I have had my HW77k for about 6 weeks and I love it, out the box it is an awesome rifle and my pcp (Rotex RM8) has taken a back seat and prob will for the short term. There's something

It's a good honest post from a responsible air rifle owner   It's been a joy to read.   Well done Rich

I think I have some good news to post...my HW77k is now legal and producing legal shots.yessssssss   So I took top hat out, removed the Delrin washer, re built rifle and now constantly putting out 1

Posted Images

So I have been able to go the range a few times and put some pellets down range and can now give a final conclusion.

Wow this rifle in a novices hands is awesome, cocking the rifle is so much easier, I have just brought a rowan engineered cocking aid what is a little beaut. Might invest in a new trigger as they make some awesome aftermarket products.

post-104316-0-96094300-1483205957_thumb.jpg

Above is one of my accuracy test shoots, please excuse the misses (trust me they are me and not the rifle)

In someone's hands who understand follow through and has mastered the art of shooting springers will get pellet on pellet, as I did on some of my groups. The rifle out shoots me and any Miss was me not the gun. I love it sooooo much, only downside to a springer is the re load time, some may hate the recoil but I'll tell you what when I shoot at the bell...I hear the bang, feel the thud and listen to the bell ringing like a gong haha.

The rifle out the box was awesome, with the Welsh will service kit in it has taken it to the next level, smooth and refined is the adjectives in would use to describe it.

Now the spring has settled in I thought I would give my final readings regarding ft/lb

Least powerful was 11.60ft/lb 789fps @ 0.177 and the highest was 11.79 ft/lb 795fps @ 0.177. With a ten shot test, so the fps difference was only 6fps...wow that's amazing and well worth the money spent on the service kit.

Regards to tuning I feel I have taken my trifle as far as I can take her. Do I think she needs a professional tune...no! I have made her better by myself, learnt about maintenance, and she is shooting within 6fps, my pcp prob couldn't do better and that has power ranges. 160 shots along and my springer will still be consistent. A springer is like SIR mo Farah and a pcp is like Usain Bolt. In the long run you can rely on a springer.

Once again thank everyone for reading this thread.

• Like 2

Cracking read Richard

now the more you use her the better you will get mark my words mate

before long you will be stacking pellets all day long with out thinking about it

If i could give you any advice it would be don't get to confident with her as they have a way of biting back just to let you know who is boss every now and again and that go,s for all springers

you should be proud of your self mate

WELL DONE

and you and all at yours have a good new year

atvbjimmy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

PS out of likes so a :thumbs: will have to do for now

• Like 1

@jimmy I didn't want to post my shots only because most of you guys are experts ;) but I was quite happy considering I'm a novice. Mate just like a pcp she has a tendency to flow a wobbly on me. I smell a light bit of diesling and I think it's to do with the Napier power pellet lube I use. Less is more with that stuff I've realised. Shoot open her up and smell the diesling.

I'm still only a target shooter but once I learn to put pellet on pellet consistently on then bull I want to get some insurance and try and find a permission to shoot on, if anyone in Northampton needs some pest control please pm in in future :)

Edited by Richard Collett

So I have been shooting my rifle, bedding in the spring, in the mean time I ordered some ptfe which has arrived today, wasn't sure if to install this or not but a few people mentioned it on here so I thought I would give it ago. I was unsure if it would improve my rifle as I have a fitted top hat and guide and when I re lubed up all the internals I used minimal grease so not worried that stuff is going to shoot forward. Nether the less I got some ptfe and tonight I am going to strip my rifle down and add this and see what effects it has if any.

post-104316-0-50534400-1483964689_thumb.jpg

Also my final test for my rifle is to find what pellet suits my barrel. I have always used AA diablio 8.4gr just because they are what I have always brought. That being said it doesn't mean it's the perfect pellet. So I brought a few tins of different brands and tomorrow I plan to book myself into the range and do some 5 group tests to find "the best"

Below are the pellets I choose for the test.

post-104316-0-76691700-1483965190_thumb.jpg

So hopefully in the next few days I can post my results from the pellet test.

Once again thanks for reading

Another quick question...the pellet on the turret of the scope test, should I draw any conclusion on that, reason I ask I that before I started my home tune I checked and when I fired the pellet didn't move much, rifle was only firing about 10.4ft/lb now she fires about 11.7ft/lb and when I did the test the pellet got knocked over.

does that test prove anything?

So the conclusion regarding the pfte piston sleeve, for my rifle it was not worth it, I have 0.3mm pfte and with the spring in the piston both can not fit. So good idea but unfortunately my piston can not accommodate both the sleeve and spring. There is very little room for play so I don't think even if I went thinner would I be able to accommodate both.

While I had the rifle apart I even checked to see if I had the original weihrauch spring in would I be able to have the sleeve and spring together and the results were the same. The spring fits in the piston perfectly...oh well you have to try these things and because I have a fitted top hat and guide, together they have reduced the twang so even though the pfte sleeve didn't work I'm not to fussed. Was a cheap product to buy and worth a try.

Yes mate it proves that a .177 will always have a little more recoil when firing close to the legal limit, something I am more than happy to put up with for the flat shooting a .177 gives, your groups are good, the rifle is consistent, and powerful, and smooth, be content, you have done a good job, one last thing, dont bother with that piston sleeve, remove all the grease from the piston and spray it with dri slide, a little pure silicon oil on the seal, you will get no deiseling, and you wont have the chance of consistency being ruined by the piston sleeve, something I have found in the past, not always, but sometimes.

• Like 1

So last night I tried to add a ptfe sleeve what didn't work out to well and basically was a waste of time, to make matters worse when I re lubed and put her back together I took some shots over the chrono and guess what...she was over the 12ft/lb. I do not have a blow torch but read you can use your gas cooker to heat the spring up to compress. I have that a try but because you can not localise the heat it didn't really make the spring glow red.

That being said I was still able to compress it enough to make her legal, I then went on to eBay and brought a blow torch with butane canisters and when that arrives I am going to just collapse the spring. If I can get her running at around 10.5ft/lb then I'll be happy as I won't have to worry about her creeping over.

Today I went the range so I could do my other test and that was to find the perfect pellet for my barrel, the results surprised me as the grouping between different brands of pellets differ so much.

I zeroed my rifle before I started and I never re zeroed between brands and always had the crosshairs over the bullseye and just grouped from there.

post-104316-0-48844300-1484073083_thumb.jpgpost-104316-0-61652400-1484073111_thumb.jpg

From the results above you can see there are some that my rifle does not like but a few brands that did group really well and if I had re zeroed I would have had that group in the bullseye. I have always used air arms diabilo 8.4grain but going forward that will not be my pellet of choice.

Looking at the results I would say my rifle likes the pellet in this order....

Jsb excact diblio

Bisley super field

Rws super field/ H&N field target trophy

Weihrauch F&T excact

Range master sovereign

Bisley practice

H&N Exite econ

I am going to stick with jsb excact as they got a good group (this was the pellet I choose to zero in my scope)

I was surprised how different the results was and glad I did this test, the rubbish pellets will be used with my co2 beretta px4 storm as I rarely fire that since I got into air rifling and as I have never tested my walther rotex rm8 I suppose one day (when I get bored of shooting my HW77) I'll do the same test.

I did notice on this site you do have a pellet swap thread and if you have a new rifle and don't know what pellet it prefers then I would suggest either reading that and seeing if other members want to swap so you can try a a selection before spending your hard earned cash on the wrong pellet.