My Hw77K Review And Future Plans

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all,   I have had my HW77k for about 6 weeks and I love it, out the box it is an awesome rifle and my pcp (Rotex RM8) has taken a back seat and prob will for the short term. There's something

It's a good honest post from a responsible air rifle owner   It's been a joy to read.   Well done Rich

I think I have some good news to post...my HW77k is now legal and producing legal shots.yessssssss   So I took top hat out, removed the Delrin washer, re built rifle and now constantly putting out 1

Posted Images

Great thread and very informative I am now tempted to have a bash at tuning my hw77 up on another note what are the best fittings to put a sling on the 77 and are they awkward with being an underlever as the 77 is the first underlever I have owned after recently purchasing one second hand.

• Like 1

Think my choice there bud would be the Bisley, I think you will find if you used a half tin full and leaded the barrel up, that group would close up even more, that said the field target trophy aint to shabby either.

I agree,nice group from the bisley. There now on the try list for my 77k.

Do you think a good idea could be to pick my top 3 pellets, jsb, bisley and the H&N. clean my barrel and re test these 3 brands but clean barrel after each test and re zero after every brand? Maybe use 100 pellets to do my test, that way I can lead up each time after a clean then do maybe 5 test groups for each brand. Or do you think that's looking into it too much, just use the tins I have and by the end of them I'll know what's best...I think maybe I've answered my own question.lol I know what's crap, now just play about with the rest of the promising ones and see if I can shrink them groups further and by the end of the tins I'll know what's the most consistent.

Obviously once I have found the perfect pellet that will become the only brand of pellet I will use going forward.

Edited by Richard Collett

After striping the gun the other day to try and add the pfte I chrono the rifle and she had creapped over the 12ft/lb legal limit. The spring had bedded in so I knew that unless I compressed a spring my rifle would always be over. So that night I ordered a blow torch of eBay and I got home from work to receive a little parcel...

post-104316-0-75743700-1484251312_thumb.jpg

I had been shooting at lunch today and she had been shooting like a dream, so before I stripped her I decided to chrono just to make sure the power she was putting out. (Still wasn't looking forward to compressing the spring so hoped she would be legal...she wasn't 12.34ft/lb)

So I begin taking her apart, I don't have a tape measure but tried to show the spring length before I compressed it.

post-104316-0-30264900-1484251600_thumb.jpg

I got the blow torch going and started to heat one end of the spring, localising the heat on the part of the spring I wanted to compress, got that part glowing red.

post-104316-0-50219200-1484251739_thumb.jpg

Once it's this hot the metal doesn't behave like a spring and I could start to compress the end down with some long nose pliers and once I had compressed i then pushed down on a metal service so the spring was level, then dipped into cold water. Cleaned it up with some 600grit wet and dry, re lubed and put the rifle back together. I did not add any power washers when I re built as I was not sure what the power output change would be.

So I took a ten string shot to make sure everything was in check,10 shots and the lowest reading was 11.46ft/lb @ 784fps and the highest was 11.75ft/lb @ 793fps. Max spread of 9fps.

So with the compression of the spring I only lost half a ft/lb and she's back legal, shouldn't creep back up again. I put off having to do this to the spring because I wasn't confident I would do it correctly and thought I would ruin the spring but to my amazement it was a five minute job and really easy to do.

In hinde sight I should have just done this to start with especially as you guys was giving that advise, my confidence that I won't break it has improved so much and I basically know my rifle inside out now and any future maitence should be doddle.lol

If I haven't already said it before... I Love this rifle :)

Thanks once again for taking the time to read (1400 views...wow) giving me your inputs and advise and making this experience fun to share. I have no intentions of tuning her any more, there is nothing else I can do myself. (Have seen some videos on buttoning pistons and Delrin bands) but that's way past what a home tuner can do.

ATVB

Richard

• Like 4

It's a good honest post from a responsible air rifle owner :yes:

It's been a joy to read.

Well done Rich :good:

Well said, as a non Air rifle owner I been loving this thread and keep checking in to see if it been updated, great to see how the work has progressed.

Edited by Paulnix
  • Like 4

As for pellet testing for your 77, write down the batch numbers off the tin so you can try and match them in future.

I got a really good batch of h&n ftt that grouped amazing out to 50 meters, do you think i could find more,

Got some more h&n ftt to try completely different grouping patterns.

I think it is to do with the dies they use and how old and worn they get.

FF

• Like 2

It's a good honest post from a responsible air rifle owner :yes:

It's been a joy to read.

Well done Rich :good:

Well said, as a non Air rifle owner I been loving this thread and keep checking in to see if it been updated, great to see how the work has progressed.

Get one mate, you won't be disappointed :good:

If you're ever up this way, give me a shout - I've got a few you can try and, there's a really good club local.

• Like 2