My Hw77K Review And Future Plans

Hello all,

I have had my HW77k for about 6 weeks and I love it, out the box it is an awesome rifle and my pcp (Rotex RM8) has taken a back seat and prob will for the short term. There's something about a spring rifle that makes you feel in tune with it and a pcp just can't replicate that interaction....well that's my opinion. My first gun was a pcp so I kinda did it all back to front.lol

post-104316-0-72928000-1481492610_thumb.jpg

As soon as I brought my gun i purchased a Welsh willy service kit, now this is on order and it's been about 3 and a half weeks so I'm hoping that arrives so I can make a great gun that little bit sweeter.lol

You may be asking why buy a kit when you already have a great rifle straight out the box especially a top end springer like the HW77... 2 reasons, firstly I have read/watched YouTube and did my reaserch all before I brought the gun so was fully aware that this was going to be a one time Perchase and wanted to strive for perfection, secondly I wanted to learn how to service my rifle so if it has problems I understand I know the rifle inside out. I want this rifle to outlive me.

So I put roughly 500 pellets through the rifle (air arms diabolo field 8.4grains) and today I did my pre tests so I have something to compare to once I service my rifle and wanted to share my findings. This will be an ongoing thread and will update as things develop.

My two tests I did today was sound tests and finding out what power she's putting out. Firstly I'm very happy with the results and considering I am a novice in both air gunning and air gun maintenance straight out the box to joe public she's a great gun. Slight twang but my QC compared to weihrauch could be at very different levels ;)

Here are my results:

Shot 1. 747fps 10.42 ft/lb. 107.3db

Shot 2. 764fps 10.90 ft/lb. 107.1db

Shot 3. 740fps 10.23 ft/lb. 87.3db

Shot 4. 741fps 10.24 ft/lb. 107.4db

Shot 5. 739fps 10.19 ft/lb. 87.7db

Shot 6. 739fps 10.19 ft/lb. 106.9db

Shot 7. 745fps 10.37 ft/lb. 60.7db

Shot 8. 742fps 10.27 ft/lb. 60.9db

Shot 9. 746fps 10.39 ft/lb. 88.3db

Shot 10. 733fps 10.04 ft/lb. 88.0db

For the sound test the round base noise was a constant 37.3db and all shot were taken from a rest.

I understand there are many arm chair experts as well as experts in the field on this forum so I welcome all inputs and opinions on my project, unfortunately I can not give you the full write up as I'm still waiting for my service kit but once that arrives I'll give a full before and after shots of what I do.

Regards

Richard

Edited by Richard Collett
  • Like 8

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all,   I have had my HW77k for about 6 weeks and I love it, out the box it is an awesome rifle and my pcp (Rotex RM8) has taken a back seat and prob will for the short term. There's something

It's a good honest post from a responsible air rifle owner   It's been a joy to read.   Well done Rich

I think I have some good news to post...my HW77k is now legal and producing legal shots.yessssssss   So I took top hat out, removed the Delrin washer, re built rifle and now constantly putting out 1

Posted Images

Nice looking rifle mate,with some time and effort they can be improved a great deal over "out the box" spec, as many will know I am not a fan of HW quality control these days,so fettling a new one is a must for me,the WW kit will improve it a lot, one tip I will give you is to absolutely de grease the thing before installing the kit, get rid of all that tacky lube they use, and no doubt a pile of machining turnings as well, dont use a piston sleeve, and do not,I repeat do not put any grease on the piston seal, dri slide on the piston, and a dab of pure silicon oil on the seal works very well indeed, and a minimum of grease, or preferably moly paste, or tar, or red rubber grease on the spring, the last one I did shot really well at around 11.7 ftlbs in .177 a little more recoil than a .22 but no twang and deadly accurate, good luck with it pal.

Nice looking rifle mate,with some time and effort they can be improved a great deal over "out the box" spec, as many will know I am not a fan of HW quality control these days,so fettling a new one is a must for me,the WW kit will improve it a lot, one tip I will give you is to absolutely de grease the thing before installing the kit, get rid of all that tacky lube they use, and no doubt a pile of machining turnings as well, dont use a piston sleeve, and do not,I repeat do not put any grease on the piston seal, dri slide on the piston, and a dab of pure silicon oil on the seal works very well indeed, and a minimum of grease, or preferably moly paste, or tar, or red rubber grease on the spring, the last one I did shot really well at around 11.7 ftlbs in .177 a little more recoil than a .22 but no twang and deadly accurate, good luck with it pal.

Im an arm chair expert

so ill not comment :whistling:

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

For the record...all you arm chair experts have the advise I'm after as well ;)

Ok so tonight I took the plunge and stripped my rifle down, for a complete novice the strip down was very easy (must have been because of the hours spent on YouTube and forums understanding how the rifle is stripped and put back together.

I plan to degrease tonight and make a start on the polishing of internals, I have read that white spirit will work for degreasing, is that correct?

Edited by Richard Collett

I'll be honest I watched a very detailed video on dismantling the trigger unit...that's something I decided to leave well alone. If it's not broke don't fix it.lol don't get me wrong I can see weihrauch have put some of that beautiful gunk in it but I don't have the confidence to strip that down and put it back together so I'm leaving that well alone.

So tonight I plan to finishing off polishing the internals. Then it will be playing the waiting game for my drop in kit, I did look at the v-Mach kit and for a home tuner I have heard they are the dogs b******s but they are the top end prices for self servicing kits.

I have brought autosol for my finial polishing....is this stuff good to use on all the internals that I'm polishing?

Also regarding tuners...I did consider that and a lot of people rave about some well respected tuners in the country and they will be able to turn most guns into finely tuned works of art. Two things put me off...one was cost and the other was waiting list. You want the best you have to wait and to be honest....I just don't have that patience and wanted to get stuck in. (they was my back up plan if I mess this project up haha)

• Like 1

Autosol is great, just make sure you get it completely removed when finished,as Tom says the Vortek piston seals are very good, if you get one you will have to resize it by fitting it to the piston, putting the piston back in your drill and holding some moistened wet and dry round it, then keep trying it in the cylinder until it slides nicely with just a bit of resistance, looks like you are doing a good job mate, dont forget to polish the end of the piston rod where it mates up with the trigger sear.

• Like 1

Should shoot great after it's all done . I have two HW 97 and both home tuned ,.177 had a v-mach kit in but it shot to harsh ,so replaced it with original spring and now both shoot at 11.5

I do like the v,mach kit Mitch BUT you do have to do some work on them to shoot smooth and once fitted you have to keep an eye on the power as it tends to creep up some .

my last 97s was spot on with next to no recoil and as smooth as a pcp

she was fitted with

full v,mach kit w,w,trigger and blade

and v,mach match safety switch

got the power curve sorted and she was sitting at 11,48

just wish i had kept her lol

but what do i know im an arm chair shooter :laugh:

atvbjimmy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

PS,,RICHARD YOUR DOING A FINE JOB THERE BUD AND A CREDIT TO YOU FOR GIVING IT A GO YOUR SELF , ;)

• Like 5