I saw some mad stuff the other week it was very well done taxidermy but really weird pieces like a rabbit with deers antlers and birds with cats legs :blink: seemed like a waste to me but apparently theres a call for that type of taxidermy in certain places......it has a name but i cant remember what it is.

• Like 1

Have to agree that the Cougar is nice but I could never understand getting a pet stuffed, something weird about it IMO. There;s some other nice mounts there too and I like the Wolf in the first post. Something different.

Neil, I totally agree regarding your comments concerning the mounting of pets, dogs etc. In my opinion, to myself, it would degrade your beloved dog in question. 'What happens if the dog wasn't to the highest of standards in workmanship "? Imagine going into a room and being confronted with your dog of which would in my opinion need to be mounted to the highest of standards. 'I'm extremely confident with the majority of people upon this particular subject, in that it isn't in the best of taste to let all and sundry view your little dog, and on display is in my opinion somewhat distasteful."What do readers think"?'Once your dog has passed by, they should be buried with dignity and pride and remembered for their working ability and companionship. 'I can remember a well know celebrity who kept mainly the black terriers; although he would keep any dog in order to make a quick dollar. "The man in question on one occasion had a particular black dog mounted, some of his cohorts found the subject to their taste and the owners face beamed with pride. However, I think many of the good guys on this particular subject would have found it somewhat repugnant in nature , I certainly would! When a dog has done its utmost for its owner, the dog should be buried with the dignity it so deserves.

Bert Gripton possessed a nice, but somewhat small collection of hunting trophies to remind him of perhaps exceptional hunts that occurred in the past.Upon his wall he had several Badger masks, plus an excellent Fox mask of which I think was a specimen very well done. Bert also had a full Otter in a case taken by the (Border counties) Otter hounds and a nice specimen of which was a memorable occasion. On one occasion when we had visited him.a piece of low- life scum had entered Bert's property while Bert was asleep; and the time when Bert's hearing was at it's worst.The little piece of crap entered Bert's property and proceeded to steal his mounted possessions. However, due to Bert's cunning, tenacity and determination, all of the items were returned by the low-life article. 'Now I don't know the validity regarding the return of such items and what materialised at the time, but when I found myself back at Bert's once again, the items were adorning his cottage wall. It wouldn't be wise to put a name to the crime, however, there are certain people on this forum who wouldn't think twice, and correctly so about "the naming and shaming " of the culprit in question. Apparently the creature in question vacated from Shropshire down into the western part of Cornwall; taking up the job of a (Mole catcher)."Who believes in the word (Karma)?

Apologies for going on and on. However, through this short message, Could I please wish everyone a merry Christmas and a happy New Year in the process.

Take good care and God bless you and your home.

Regards, Lutra......

• Like 2

I saw some mad stuff the other week it was very well done taxidermy but really weird pieces like a rabbit with deers antlers and birds with cats legs :blink: seemed like a waste to me but apparently theres a call for that type of taxidermy in certain places......it has a name but i cant remember what it is.

Hybrid taxidermy?

hybrid-taxidermy-1.jpg

http://boredomtherapy.com/hybrid-taxidermy/

TC

Hybrid taxidermy?

hybrid-taxidermy-1.jpg

http://boredomtherapy.com/hybrid-taxidermy/

It a no from me !

TC

Great to see you posting Stephen.

When we're lucky enough to get a great hunt ,whether it be a long hound hunt or dig or stalk a camera isn't always available and I do think a trophy is nice way to remember the hunt and the quarry and tell the tale for many's a day. It also in my opinion respects the quarry.

But, as you say an animal we once cherished as a worker and companion shouldn't become as ornament.

I can only think of one time that a good tale came out of such a case.

It's well documented that when Peter Gormans famous Wheaten "Peter Sinead" got mounted after his death that the taxidermist commented that the terriers jaw had been broken in many places.

Mr Gorman said the dog had never missed any work.

I was once in the company of several men who'd known Peter and had seen "Peter Sinead" at work.

I made a remark that the taxidermist commenting on the broken jaw was great for the legend.

I was lucky to not be lynched, LOL, they told me it was in fact true and that the dog had went through the pain barrier several times.

This would never have been proved if the dog had never been taken to be mounted.

On a side note, I commented a couple of years ago that I had a nearly white Jackdaw living in my area and that a brilliant taxidermist in Northern Ireland had told me she'd love it.

I'm still watching that Jackdaw every day and it must be 11 or 12 and is nearly pure white now.

I hope I'm the one who finds it when it does pop it's clogs.

at a guess neil ,i would say that the fellas you were talking to were northern men,they would still be a bit sore ,ask them what happened when peter died,were they at the funeral,and what happened his dogs when the funeral was takeing place,dont think they like to say to much on that one,also do you no were peter found his line,it wasnt up north and thats a fact,ive been at that scene along time ago and its not heresay,its practical experience,its nice to catch up with a few of the terrier men

Fair play to you Jack.

The day I made that comment I was in the presence of some Northern dogmen and some Dublin dogmen.

Some of them had no time for Mr Gorman but they gave Peter Sinead the credit he deserved for working with a broken jaw.

No, I wouldn't know where Peter got his original Wheatens.

I started in terriers around '85, '86 and if I remember correctly he died in '86.

Most of the dogmen I knew then knew him well with Dundalk being only 40 minutes up the road.