Stunning transformation of an opinel Griff. I have no intention of going into competition but how did you get the original handle off? When I've attempted it I've felt I'm going to do irreversible damage to the blade meconisem/clamp!!

Thanks Dave

A pair of sir-clip pliers springs the collar off, quick file to the sides of the rivet head to take the splay off and punch it through. One end of the rivet generally only has a slight splay so dosn't take much, can re-use the rivet on re-assemble and just round over wit ball-pin hammer.

I plan to do some step by step pictures next time and will post them up.

post-57451-0-20959500-1483123004_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres one i did for my daughter.     More pics here http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/339556-make-your-own-tools-thread/page-12   Would consider doing another, just depends how fast yo

That's another one done Hendog478 has first dibs.    

Few more pics                

Posted Images

Stunning transformation of an opinel Griff. I have no intention of going into competition but how did you get the original handle off? When I've attempted it I've felt I'm going to do irreversible damage to the blade meconisem/clamp!!

Thanks Dave

A pair of sir-clip pliers springs the collar off, quick file to the sides of the rivet head to take the splay off and punch it through. One end of the rivet generally only has a slight splay so dosn't take much, can re-use the rivet on re-assemble and just round over wit ball-pin hammer.

post-57451-0-20959500-1483123004.jpg

Looking at the hole that the pin that holds the blade and the socket for the handle it looks off centre so it might be an idea to drill that before you round the end off, then round the end to suit the hole? Just a thought.

TC

Thanks Dave

post-57451-0-20959500-1483123004.jpg

Looking at the hole that the pin that holds the blade and the socket for the handle it looks off centre so it might be an idea to drill that before you round the end off, then round the end to suit the hole? Just a thought.

TC

B0LLicks I just thought looking at that you can use the socket that goes over the end for a drill guide for the hole... DOHHH :doh: :doh: :doh:

TC

Can i be cheeky amd ask is it poosible to drill into an antler, ideally a lil roe buck spike and slide a knife with a tang into it?

I would say so, but you would have to clean the pith out of the centre of the antler first and refill with resin, then you could drill and set the knife tang in the newly drilled hole.

May be wrong though. Brain fart moment like my post before last.

TC

Can i be cheeky amd ask is it poosible to drill into an antler, ideally a lil roe buck spike and slide a knife with a tang into it?

I would say so, but you would have to clean the pith out of the centre of the antler first and refill with resin, then you could drill and set the knife tang in the newly drilled hole.

May be wrong though. Brain fart moment like my post before last.

TC

thats the way to do it near as drill just big enough for tang to fit fill with apoxy push tang in and clamp. or you can drill and heat tang and burn it in

Thanks to Griff's inspiration and his tutorial. This is my customised opined no8 it's not perfect, there's a lot of play in the blade but using the original locking mechanism (when open and closed) makes it fully functional.

Despite it's imperfection I'm well pleased. Thanks again Griff

post-57451-0-12819600-1483572205_thumb.jpg

post-57451-0-32898700-1483572224_thumb.jpg

post-57451-0-67027900-1483572239_thumb.jpg

• Like 6