Your Favourite Pheasant Recipe??

we have always had roast pheasant properly plucked and hung , this season i have been given that many we had to find something else to do with them

. My wife found a recipe for pheasant and chestnut terrine , it was superb , i can reccomend it to any one .

I found this recipe on t'internet, it's based on a Rick Stein one where he uses duck, and I wouldn't mind trying it when next I happen upon a pheasant or 2.

Pheasant braised in spiced orange juice
(Use duck or chicken if you prefer)
1 large pheasant, oven-ready
splash sunflower oil
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
large thumb of ginger, peeled
1 litre freshly squeezed orange juice
5 star anise
4 red bird’s eye chillies (leave them whole)
2 lemongrass stalks
4 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp granulated sugar
freshly ground black pepper
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 heaped tsp cornflour
First, prep the aromatics. Bash the lemongrass and garlic but leave them whole, and thinly slice the ginger.
Prep the pheasant. Rip the skin off then joint into four pieces (you can keep the breast in one whole piece.Discard the back bone and skin.) Give the pheasant a good wash and pat dry with kitchen towel.
In a casserole dish, heat the oil then brown the pheasant on all sides and remove to a plate. Soften the garlic and ginger for a minute or two, then replace the pheasant with the chillies, star anise and lemongrass. Add the orange juice (you can sieve it if it’s full of pips). Season with fish sauce, sugar and black pepper. You probably won’t need salt. Pop the lid on and cook on the lowest heat for about 90 minutes – give it a stir every now and then.
When the pheasant is tender, remove the meat from the liquid. When it’s cool enough to handle pull the meat from the bones, shredding them into large chunks. Discard the bones.
Strain the liquid through a sieve into a new pan and reduce on a high heat until the sauce is richly flavoured. Mix the cornflour with a little water and add to the sauce to thicken. Return the pheasant and bubble gently for a few minutes to heat the meat through. Give it a taste and add more fish sauce, pepper or salt as you need to. Garnish with sliced spring onions and serve.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pheasant breasts cut pocket in each one and put stuff with cheap pate then wrap in streaky or normal bacon ?????? Easy and amazing, if u want to get a bit fancy cook in a tin with about half an inch of red wine in dish with some chopped onions then this is what I use to make the Gravy when pheasant is cooked

Last week I sliced into strips some Pheasant and Wigeon breasts, shook them in a bag of seasoned spiced bread crumbs with a little oil, did them in the oven and had them in some fajitas with salsa or coleslaw. Very tasty indeed.

Nice and simple and if you wanted to trick some friends or kids into trying game it would be a good way, LOL, lets face it, we've all done it.

• 4 weeks later...

Phezzy breasts stuffed with feta cheese and wrapped in Parma ham is pretty fine eatin'

I like to roast the whole bird - cooked in variety of spices and flavourings - whatever I've got in really - good glug of wine etc

Then shred the meat like you would a duck, the list is endless what you can do with this, pies, pastries, in wraps with peppers and cheese, layered in a pie dish with creamed potatoe and topped with cheese is good to.

• Like 1