A Short Post Regarding Taxidermy.

Hello to all members,

I do like Taxidermy and I know some of the greatest Taxidermists in the business, especially regarding some of my friends in America and also in certain parts of Europe. I have met some good ones in England, and I am aware of 2 of the really good ones in my opinion who include "Mike Gadd" and "Carl Church". I did contact Mike Gadd via email this year of which I wanted 2 bitch Stoats mounting that my brother had trapped. Unfortunately Mike was far too busy with a somewhat busy work load; so I will have to look elsewhere.

Also my brother has some very good books on the subject of which I had the chance to peruse over a short while back.

Some members on on this forum will have heard of certain authors of which include certain titles by Rowland Ward, "A Naturalist's Life Study".

Also "Methods In The Art Of Taxidermy" by Oliver Davie ,1st edition, 1894. However, my brother bought another Taxidermy title of which I was very impressed with. The book is by (Pat Morris) and it is a beautiful book which I have seen for sale and priced at £250.00 from various book dealers.I would advise anyone who actually is involved themselves in the art of Taxidermy to buy this if they get the chance. Although it is quite expensive, the book is a wealth of information and beautiful produced.

Without wishing to be rude, at the moment I haven't the time to write a detailed account regarding the merits of the book or any particular shortcomings regarding the information and material within the book. However, at a glance the book covers all topics on the subject of Taxidermy.

'Perhaps if readers would find it interesting, I could write a detailed account of the book when I find the time also to read the book in question.

I will post some photos eventually because there are certain Taxidermists who I think would be interested; they may also have the the book in their possession, although this copy is limited to just 40 copies and signed by the author.

I have also enclosed a photo for the readers perusal of an old Otter mask that belonged to an old friend of ours.If my memory serves myself correctly, it was hunted and killed by the (Border counties Otter hounds)."Hope you like it !

Apologies regarding the short post but nowadays time seems to become so much more precious. However, I hope to post certain subjects over the festive season. 'I hope everyone has a most enjoyable Christmas time and get's very DRUNK in the process. I will be catching up with some long lost friends and going out with hounds.

Merry Christmas, Lutra.

"Take care of all your memories for you cannot relive them"!

post-99609-0-43912200-1480583376_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lutra Lutra
  • Like 3

As far as taxidermy books go the Breakthrough magazine is probably the and I mean the best taxidermy magazine you'll ever purchase. You owe to your self to go to there Web page and look. It's a bio monthly magazine and they do sell books on the subject.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello to all members,

I do like Taxidermy and I know some of the greatest Taxidermists in the business, especially regarding some of my friends in America and also in certain parts of Europe. I have met some good ones in England, and I am aware of 2 of the really good ones in my opinion who include "Mike Gadd" and "Carl Church". I did contact Mike Gadd via email this year of which I wanted 2 bitch Stoats mounting that my brother had trapped. Unfortunately Mike was far too busy with a somewhat busy work load; so I will have to look elsewhere.

Also my brother has some very good books on the subject of which I had the chance to peruse over a short while back.

Some members on on this forum will have heard of certain authors of which include certain titles by Rowland Ward, "A Naturalist's Life Study".

Also "Methods In The Art Of Taxidermy" by Oliver Davie ,1st edition, 1894. However, my brother bought another Taxidermy title of which I was very impressed with. The book is by (Pat Morris) and it is a beautiful book which I have seen for sale and priced at £250.00 from various book dealers.I would advise anyone who actually is involved themselves in the art of Taxidermy to buy this if they get the chance. Although it is quite expensive, the book is a wealth of information and beautiful produced.

Without wishing to be rude, at the moment I haven't the time to write a detailed account regarding the merits of the book or any particular shortcomings regarding the information and material within the book. However, at a glance the book covers all topics on the subject of Taxidermy.

'Perhaps if readers would find it interesting, I could write a detailed account of the book when I find the time also to read the book in question.

I will post some photos eventually because there are certain Taxidermists who I think would be interested; they may also have the the book in their possession, although this copy is limited to just 40 copies and signed by the author.

I have also enclosed a photo for the readers perusal of an old Otter mask that belonged to an old friend of ours.If my memory serves myself correctly, it was hunted and killed by the (Border counties Otter hounds)."Hope you like it !

Apologies regarding the short post but nowadays time seems to become so much more precious. However, I hope to post certain subjects over the festive season. 'I hope everyone has a most enjoyable Christmas time and get's very DRUNK in the process. I will be catching up with some long lost friends and going out with hounds.

Merry Christmas, Lutra.

"Take care of all your memories for you cannot relive them"!

Neil, the Otter mask was one that belonged to Bert Gripton after a very long hunt with "Border Counties".

• Like 2

It's always nice to have a good truthful story behind a mount.

I've seen some beautiful masks over the years and could have bought them, but where's the story ?

I have a badger mask on my wall and it's quiet rough to be honest but when the wife went the first thing to go in the bin was the wedding photo and the mask replaced it immediately.

The mask used to be on a full mount that sat on the shelf of a very well known sporting pub in Westmeath (the same pub once had two multi winning roosters on it's shelves too) and for years had a bald patch on it's arse.

Fatman, on here, was having a pint one day in it and tied to the leg of his bar stool was a black terrier called Rip.

Rip had spotted the badger up on the shelf and was sitting staring at it while Fatman swallowed some pints.

Another great character, D.M. spotted Rip and saying nothing opened Rips collar.

Rip jumped onto a seat, then onto a table, then onto the back of some seats and then onto the shelf and ended up on the floor of the pub with his prize.

Hence the bald patch on it's arse.

When I got it I cut of the mask and put it on a plaque.

It was dug over 50 years ago.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 7

Had it on show for years Neil along with other taxidermy but the decor has changed a little now in the living room. My daughters due to move out next year so her room will become my study and the masks I have and hundreds of books will be dusted down and will see the light of day again. Got a nice painting that deserves hanging on the wall too

• Like 3