Sharing A Cabinet

Hello , I'm just about to apply for my shotgun certificate , but there's one thing I'm wanting to know I'm 18 still living in same house with Mam and dad have no intention of moving as I'd rather spend money on guns haha , all I'm wanting to know is if im allowed to keep my gun in dads cabinet with his rather than having two in one house as it wouldn't be very convenient, just wondered if there's any rules about this and things you can and can't do , thanks

Hello , I'm just about to apply for my shotgun certificate , but there's one thing I'm wanting to know I'm 18 still living in same house with Mam and dad have no intention of moving as I'd rather spend money on guns haha , all I'm wanting to know is if im allowed to keep my gun in dads cabinet with his rather than having two in one house as it wouldn't be very convenient, just wondered if there's any rules about this and things you can and can't do , thanks

A friend of mine is currently having this issue resolved ,he owns firearms as does his wife all the guns are in the same cabinet.

The problem is he/she is not allowed to have access to the gun cabinet/firearms and as you are the only person who is supposed to know the keys location,so problem being two sets of keys both people

with access to each others firearms.

I will let you know the eventual outcome.

• Like 1

When I lived at home I used to share my cabinet with my dad, as said shotguns are fine but if your dad has a firearm in there you can't share. I've had my fac and sgc for years and my dad wanted his sgc, when the officer came round we just explained what we was doing and he was fine with it. My firearms were always kept separate he just used some space in my shotgun cabinet.. hope this helps.

Sharing is no problem.

On your application under the section about storage (assuming it's still on the new style forms) just say you are going to store in your dad's cabinet and put his ticket number on there. The feo will tell you what else you need to do, if anything. Bottom line is you have a secure place to store the guns and non ticket holders won't have access.

My father in law and brother in law share a cabinet (brother in law doesn't live there anymore but doesnt want a cabinet in his house) and its no problem. Guns aren't logged on both tickets to the best of my knowledge because in theory they can borrow each other's for 72 hours without notifying feo regardless so having access doesn't matter.

If I remember rightly, with shared access on section 1 cabinets you need to have a slot for your own guns and the other persons guns and vice versa. Not certain if there is a condition on the other person's guns for access only but not use or if you are able to use them freely as they are listed on your ticket too.

A chap and his son at the club I used to shoot at had shared section 1 cabinet and I think from memory they were allowed to use each other's rifles because they were listed on both certificates but not 100% on it as it was nearly 10 years ago now. I seem to remember they both occasionally picked up the wrong lr's as they were identical rifles with the same scope on top and a blued synthetic cz looks exactly the same as the next blued synthetic cz in the cupboard

Edited by Jax13
  • 2 weeks later...

I was told by a bloke I used to shoot with that he kept his rifles in the same cabinet as his sons, they were both fac holders, but did not have the others rifles on the slot, they had to use a trigger lock on All rifles, I guess it was like, your both trusted as you both have tickets, but the trigger lock is so you can't use the other persons rifle without thier consent (unlocking the trigger guard).

I was told by a bloke I used to shoot with that he kept his rifles in the same cabinet as his sons, they were both fac holders, but did not have the others rifles on the slot, they had to use a trigger lock on All rifles, I guess it was like, your both trusted as you both have tickets, but the trigger lock is so you can't use the other persons rifle without thier consent (unlocking the trigger guard).

Sounds about right