Cheap Property

Not too far from me, there's loads at that sort of money around the west.

Not for long with all you yuppie immigrants coming over driving prices up!!
Haha, fecking immigrants ! Lol.......they would take 60 for that there.

In fact I can see it's on with the local agent who I play football with and who I bought my house off.

Word of caution for any prospective buyers who currently live in a metropolitan area........the west of ireland is definitely NOT metropolitan.

Like watching clips on youtube?......forget it, it's all dial up speeds round here.

They call it broadband.......bless em ! Lol

Didn't know you were only up the road from me... Saying that the shithole I'm living in is worse than Sligo
Where are you at if you don't mind me asking ?
My fella has a place in mayo and i have a smallholding in Roscommon

Anywhere near frenchpark ?

nope.. lived in castlerea for about 5yrs tho
  • Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true we were living just to pay a huge mortgage, when we talked about moving to the country I was always eyeing up houses just out of reach with all the things I dreamt of like a few acres, period

I don't think you have to move a million miles away to find peace... I moved just 10 miles away 10years ago from my home town and it's like another world. The only downside was it wasn't cheap but me

ha! was wicker ones but cardboard ones are now the vogue!   Most people are suited to the staying within the parameters which theyve grown up in, those parameters are probably nice places - comfy an

Like most things in life, it comes down to how big you want to live.......I look at it like this, people have to work 90% of their time to just stand still in the UK........you go out every morning to work and when you get home some poxy official is standing there with their hand out to take it off you.......and it's the same every day till you die.

Life don't have to be that way, it is possible to make a change........it takes a lot of getting your head round when the UK life is all you have ever known but it's liberating once it's done.

JMHO

• Like 3

In fact I can see it's on with the local agent who I play football with and who I bought my house off.

Word of caution for any prospective buyers who currently live in a metropolitan area........the west of ireland is definitely NOT metropolitan.

Like watching clips on youtube?......forget it, it's all dial up speeds round here.

Didn't know you were only up the road from me... Saying that the shithole I'm living in is worse than Sligo

Bennys Deli.......mmmmmmmm ;)

Bennys Deli.......mmmmmmmm ;)

Turkey and ham dinners are outstanding
  • Like 1

I am genuinely intrigued to how the do make a living ,not everyone can own a farm can they

Farms ain't that big here........a small farm in England is about 600 acres.......over here that is a massive farm.

that's the same in wales lots of little hill farms not cheep though

were they cheap once upon a time?

Question to Wilf, if you dont mind!? what age bracket are you in, kinda had you down as late 40's (ish!)

I'm 45 mate
You done well to make the break and retire at your age!
  • Like 1

Where I live most homes are build on .25 of a acre. Usually homes go by the square foot oh location makes a big difference too. It's around $100.00 to $120.00 a square foot for homes below 3,000 square foot that includes the .25 acre of land. It's funny if your house is bigger over 3,000 square foot the price drops per square foot. Our house is 4,150 square foot and the going price is around $70.00 a square foot. Now if you just want land it's all about location here lots are going between $60,000.00 to $100,000.00 for .25 acre. If you drive up the mountain you can get 5 acres for $35,000.00 in up from there with water and electricity on it.it's crazy I'm sure you have the same over there.

• Like 1

until they f****d ye out for starting fights lol

• Like 1

That does seem ridiculously cheap , 85000 that's less than £74000. .. my pals youngest son just parted with £300,000 for a one bed flat in Leytonstone that needs god knows how much spending on it ...

And no water charges, council tax 90 a YEAR........it's mental cheap when you have been having your pants pulled down in England all your life mate
and no work either
Nobody is starving here mate let me tell you, everyone is driving round in late motors, living in nice houses.........like in most places, there's always something to do.

But they are a canny old mob, if everyone thinks the place is f****d then that probably suits them just fine ;)

where do they find work then wilf I just googled Charlestown sounds grim no work since the trains stopped going there in the 70s and there is even a book about it called the death of a town and unemployment is high
By the way, don't beleive everything you read.......Charlestown is very nice

I,m sure it is wilf I was thinking more about making a living
There's always well off folk about and they always want nice things I reckon I could scratch a living out there setting a workshop up and doing cabinet work ...somthing I've thought about a lot BUT I would need a good chunk in the bank to fall back before I even contemplated it ....sure does seem the grass is actually greener on the other side for once.
  • Like 1

Like most things in life, it comes down to how big you want to live.......I look at it like this, people have to work 90% of their time to just stand still in the UK........you go out every morning to work and when you get home some poxy official is standing there with their hand out to take it off you.......and it's the same every day till you die.

Life don't have to be that way, it is possible to make a change........it takes a lot of getting your head round when the UK life is all you have ever known but it's liberating once it's done.

JMHO

So true we were living just to pay a huge mortgage, when we talked about moving to the country I was always eyeing up houses just out of reach with all the things I dreamt of like a few acres, period etc.

It took the hardest and most painful knocks to my life (which very nearly finished me off) I've ever had to realise it's just a stupid pile of bricks and not worth dropped dead over. It's not what you have it's what you spend your time doing that counts, we chose a cheap bungalow in the nicest places I've ever lived....and I still catch myself talking about down sizing ffs....we've got a 1/3 of an acre plot which backs on to a lovely dell with a river which you can hear at night, a 5 minute walk to the beach and so what if we have a 1970s hob lol

Sometimes I wake up and think I've died or I'm in a coma living some kind of wierd dream

• Like 8

JMHO

Sounds the business over there mate, how much do they bend you over for one of these tele license things I keep being offered ?

JMHO

Sounds the business over there mate, how much do they bend you over for one of these tele license things I keep being offered ?

I have no idea mate, I don't deal with any stuff like that.........I didn't get married for nothing you know !

• Like 1

Where I live most homes are build on .25 of a acre. Usually homes go by the square foot oh location makes a big difference too. It's around $100.00 to $120.00 a square foot for homes below 3,000 square foot that includes the .25 acre of land. It's funny if your house is bigger over 3,000 square foot the price drops per square foot. Our house is 4,150 square foot and the going price is around $70.00 a square foot. Now if you just want land it's all about location here lots are going between $60,000.00 to $100,000.00 for .25 acre. If you drive up the mountain you can get 5 acres for $35,000.00 in up from there with water and electricity on it.it's crazy I'm sure you have the same over there.

Been in some really nice houses on your side of the pond the last few weeks,REALLY nice,and a quarter of the price of mine UK side,ridiculous really,quality of life compared to struggle for existence,you work hard all your life to live in a decent box in south-east England,by the time you finish paying for it you downsize to a much smaller pine one.

• Like 1

I hear you but I've haven't had the chance to visit your side of the pond more like a ocean lol. I've been to Canada Vancouver twice to much city for me but nice to visit if that's what its lIke over there?. The thing with me I love to hunt kinda gets in the way if you want to save for things just ask my wife. It does suck if you work your whole life trying to put away something for the future. I like your analogy pinewood boxs lol.

Been in some really nice houses on your side of the pond the last few weeks,REALLY nice,and a quarter of the price of mine UK side,ridiculous really,quality of life compared to struggle for existence,you work hard all your life to live in a decent box in south-east England,by the time you finish paying for it you downsize to a much smaller pine one.

ha! was wicker ones but cardboard ones are now the vogue!

Most people are suited to the staying within the parameters which theyve grown up in, those parameters are probably nice places - comfy and safe.

Can only speak for myself, was very easy to bolt. I done it at 30, with not a great amount of $ but a trade, took about 10 years of head down to get anywhere slightly comfy with casualties on the way, now thinking of a new horizon.

Edited by Columbo
  • Like 3